m1a

rotorhead

I have got a thought in my head about a m1a. I recently discovered the JAE stock and it looks like a nice well made stock. I have been wondering about a sniper type rifle built out of a m1a but my understanding in the past was they are bedding eaters. this stock might solve this problem and who can really argue the 308. I know as a rule! semi-autos don't make good sniper rifles but I would kind of like to know if it could be done. Has anybody had any experience with working with one of these, and if so, what was the out come?

RH

I have a Springfield M1A in Scout in a Sage stock and it works very well , I hade the barrel replaced a couple years ago with a heavier match barrel from Kreiger but has a 7.63 NATO chamber , the gun will shoot under 1 moa to 600yds and thats with an 18" barrel and 10x scope ,the gun currently wears a Trijicon TA55A scope.

I think that it could be made more accurate with a better chamber and possibley with a better stock desgined for accuracy.

If your looking for an accurate semi auto the big AR-10's are the bets bet ,I have seen these shoot with the H&K PSG-1 and in several cases out shoot them.

7.63 Nato

Sorry for my ignorence but could you tell me more about this cartiridge it is the first time i hear about it unless its a typo and you meant 7.62x51 NATO

Thanks

Sorry , fat fingers , yes it was ment to be 7.62 Nato ,the chamber is cut a bit bigger to allow for ammo variances and dirty envoriments , this gun was desgined as a partol carbine and has serves that aplication well , if I could just remember which one of my buddies has it !!

RH, My M1A has shot more than 2500 rounds over the years including National Infantry Trophy Matches (rattle battles) that got it hot enough to smoke. I built it per AMU instructions in 1982 with a cr-moly Douglas heavy barrel and a Bishop super fat stock. It has not been re-bedded and still will shoot sub 1 moa with M852 NM ammo. (I have to put a scope on it to prove it now). If I was building one now, I would use a Krieger heavy stainless barrel and the heaviest walnut stock that the rules will allow. (I believe the super fat stock is not allowed in competition anymore). I would bed it per the AMU manual, except with Steelbed. The secret of bedding life is not to take it in and out of the stock except for major cleaning, and to store it un-clamped. that will preserve the preload and not compress the bedded area under the receiver. A good one will shoot x-ring when first clamped back in, and will be back to sub moa in 2-5 rounds.

I'm not familiar with the JAE stock, but if it will maintain preload and not crush, it's a winner. If you want to shoot it in competition, check and be sure it complies with the rules.

I've never shot an AR-10, but I am familiar with Garands, AR's, FAL's, H&K 91's and Cetme's. I'll take the M1A every time. If it has good parts in it, it can be made to shoot. Period. Military snipers still use accurized M-14's for good reason. Accuracy, and firepower if you need it.

Build you a good one, you won't regret it. Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.