1944 M1 GARAND REFURBISH

If it were mine I'd leave it as is. If I wanted a shooter I'd buy a CMP Select grade. I love mine and shoot it frequently. I would not touch the war rifle. For sentimental reasons as well as it's worth to collectors.

Got the M1 back today. Only thing needed to be changed was the barrel (I kept the original barrel). Attached are some pictures of the rifle. Was told according to the numbers stamped on the gun and the internal parts that the rifle was manufactured by Springfield Arms in November of 1942, was shipped to the soldiers and utilized in WWII, at the end of WWII, it was returned to Springfield Arms to be refurbished (hence the 1944 stamp on the barrel) and then sent to the field to be used in the Korean conflict.

Attachments

• M1 GARAND 201.jpg
    M1 GARAND 201.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 226
  • M1 GARAND 202.jpg
    M1 GARAND 202.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 267
  • M1 GARAND 203.jpg
    M1 GARAND 203.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 230
  • M1 GARAND 204.jpg
    M1 GARAND 204.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 280
  • M1 GARAND 205.jpg
    M1 GARAND 205.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 237
  • M1 GARAND 206.jpg
    M1 GARAND 206.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 250
  • M1 GARAND 207.jpg
    M1 GARAND 207.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 240
  • M1 GARAND 208.jpg
    M1 GARAND 208.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 253
  • M1 GARAND 209.jpg
    M1 GARAND 209.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 240
  • M1 GARAND 210.jpg
    M1 GARAND 210.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 336
Good move! Let someone who knows what they are doing go thru it, as you did. re-Parkerized, also? Now, feed it ball M2 or the equivalent. Federal makes ammo especially for the M1, and I think Hornaday may also. There seems to always be surplus on the open market. These rifles were designed to fire Ball M2, which is NOT the same a commercial .30/06. After the barrel, the operating rod, gas cylinder and clip latch seem to be the parts that receive the most wear.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT. The rifle was TOTALLY re-Parkerized, even though there was NO pitting anywhere on the rifle. This rifle was really taken care of. The gentlemen at James River Armory are very knowledgeable. He told me it was a simple job to re-furbish this EXCELLENT condition rifle. I am thinking of selling to other stock that was on the rifle.

Attachments

• DSC02249.JPG
    DSC02249.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 216
THANKS TO EVERYONE OF YOU FOR YOUR INTELLIGENT REMARKS. I appreciate all of you. I will never forget nor regret my military service. My father served in WWII in Okinawa in 1942-44., My father in law was landed on Omaha beach during the Normandy invasion, then in Belgium. I am so proud of them both. They both now rest in peace with all their other brothers.

I think you did the right thing having the barrel replaced and the rifle checked over by the experts. Like you, I would not want to leave an unserviceable rifle to someone who might not know the difference and then perhaps one day attempt to shoot it.

Another thing I would suggest is that you write down the entire story of your father & father-in-laws service and your own, as well. This will have a lot more impact for your heirs than a verbal story. Make sure you add in as much information about the rifle as you can so they will appreciate even more your reasons for keeping it and passing it down. Include info regarding ammo as well, just to be sure it gets handled correctly after you're gone. I'm certain the effort will be appreciated by someone down the line!
Cheers,
crkckr

What a beautiful specimen!

Supposedly the best example of M1 rifles (if you can own only one) is a 1942 Springfield before wartime production demand pushed for as many rifles as they could deliver.

With a new Criterion you have what many would consider the equivalent of a depot overhaul rifle, with excellent condition original stock (the stamps and cartouches are beautiful).

Not so much premium collector value, rather you have a solid shooter anyone would envy, either to fire, admire, or both.

Being sentimental about the old barrel and stock is nice, but they have minimal value unless you just want to store and keep them. When it received its first depot re-build (with the 44 barrel) normally all weapons were inspected and completely stripped, all serviceable-usable components going into working bins (not kept together with original receivers) and re-assembled once worn or unserviceable parts were identified, thrown-out, and replaced.

Would kind of be like going to a garage with your truck and holding on to worn-out shocks, just to have the OEM parts.

Last edited:
thanks to you all for the comments. I have already started a journal of my in-laws and "OUTLAWS". I truly appreciate the high quality professional restoration that the folks at James River Armory did for me.

Attachments

• M1 GARAND 210.jpg
    M1 GARAND 210.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 274
a worn bore does not make the gun unsafe, just less accurate. I wouldn't touch anything unless you know that someone will want to shoot it, and shoot it accurately.

The M1 is finished. I replaced the trigger housing with a 1942 (SA)numbers matching trigger, hammer, safety, numbers matching bolt and operating rod, restored the stock using TUNG oil. Rifle looks like new. Will show pictures soon, Thanks to All for your comments. I think my grandson will like the gun along with the history of his great grandfathers who were in Okinawa and Omaha beach on D-day

Attachments

• DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 165
I am going to go back to James River Armory and have everything checked for a final look see and then test fired for functionality. Nothing feels loose in the housing all appears to be fairly tight. Now I need to sell my other trigger housing, uncut SA operating rod, bolt and a National Match operating rod.

Because of the heavy hammer spring, you will feel no loosenes in the trigger housing components. But, that does not mean that there isn't wear on the trigger and hammer pins. When I replaced the pins in the first Garand that I bought, because they had obvious wear, the difference was like night and day. Now, when a Garand comes into my shop, it is one of the first things I look at. New , G.I. pins are available with just a small bit of searching. Takes special tool to dis-assemble/assemble the trigger housing, both M1s and M1As.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.