1944 M1 GARAND REFURBISH

It is not a collector piece so forget collector value. 99.9% are shooters and that is what this one is. Get it rebuilt so it can be shot safely. There will be enjoyment with it then versus an unshootable wall hanger that has no collector value

Do whatever makes you happy. I personally would be frustrated knowing I had a nice rifle with junk parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are all correct. Since I am a dummy and am not familiar with the spec's I am going to rely on the experts like you folks and James River Armory, then if my old disabled vet body holds up I may shoot it. I truly appreciate all of your replies and
M1 GARAND 205.jpg
knowledge, I am learning a great deal by reading your replies, THANKS.

here is the finished product. Replaced the bolt, operating rod, trigger housing, barrel and all reflect the correct part number for the year 1942 (Nov./Dec), Springfield M!. I also replaced the rear sight to the correct LOCK BAR sight. Replaced the lower hand guard metal to the "ARCHED" type. I believe this will make a great gift to my stepson, whose grandfather landed on OMAHA Beach on D day. Feel free to comment either that I did the right to restore it or not, thanks everyone and by the way I am also a 60% disabled vet of 21 years service (ARMY). GOD BLESS OF TROOPS.
m1 020.jpg
m1 021.jpg

Attachments

• m1 022.jpg
    m1 022.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 102
  • m1 023.jpg
    m1 023.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 102
  • m1 024.jpg
    m1 024.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 92
  • m1 025.jpg
    m1 025.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 98
  • m1 026.jpg
    m1 026.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 102
  • m1 027.jpg
    m1 027.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 99
  • m1 029.jpg
    m1 029.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 100
  • m1 030.jpg
    m1 030.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 95
Omg! I can't believe you ruined that rifle! What a waste!

Jk, that looks awesome. I am sure you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it, now that it's a shooter. Great restoration and beautiful rifle. :)

duhhhhhhhhhhh, I still have all the other parts. lolol It is just more like the original rifle from 1942. Parts are NOT reproduction.

had every part checked and verified by Mark at James River Armory. Everything is correct now so I am just going to put it away and donate it later. Sure brings back memories, but that is what life is about----MAKING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES.

The only "problem" with the grease slingers is you've gotta' clean from the muzzle end. I've seen lots of GI barrels that have obvious muzzle wear from cleaning rods. Buy a crown/muzzle protector and include it in the nice kit. You'll be glad you did! I think a crown/muzzle protector is available from Brownells. Search Dewey Muzzle Guard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.