M1 .30 Carbine Question

Perhaps someone might have a quick solution to this question.
I have a M1 .30 Carbine; Inland 1943... It fails to go completely into battery using hand loads or factory ammo, when hand cycling {slap charging handle} of the weapon to load it.
Off and on'.., it will also fails to go into battery when firing. The weapon is in great condition near mint; it's been cleaned and lightly oiled. The ejector and extractor are working fine, however I suspect the ejector is the problem while the bolt is trying to close. If I give the charging handle a very little assist, it locks the lugs right up into battery. Bolt face is clean. {Could the spring be too strong in the extractor?}
The rifle was completely disassembled de-greased, check for wear'..., cleaned with gun solvent and high pressure air…. and it still happens.
Thank for any suggestions... it's really a great gun.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have found the GI M1 Carbine can be ammo sensitive. Last one I worked on would chamber and cycle Remington ammo but not Federal. There's an artical on the CMP web site about the carbine, might check that out.

Shortgrass,
I did try many other types of ammo as well as hand loads to spec's... nothing seemed to really help. Case prep is dead nuts on, over all finished load is right on G.I spec's... it doesn't make any different whether I use mil brass or sporting.

That's kinda what got me thinking the extractor may not be pulling back to allow the cases rim to fully lock into place, just a guess.
Thanks for the heads up on the CMP article I'll look for it.... I've read quite a few articles on the subject; so far none have really answered the question to this problem... I think I've eliminated most all the other {might be's} in my compete cleaning an inspections of all the weapon parts and function.
Thanks again for your input.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]sureshot21,
yes I did, changing the "operating rod spring" was one of the first things I tried. It looks more and more like it's coming down to the "extractor and/or extractor spring & plunger" second thought; it's possible the bolt "flat bolt" was replace at some time and they didn't fit the locking lug by lapping it in... It's got me scratching my head at any rate...
Thanks for the input.
436[/FONT]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.