17 Rem,Tactical etc. (Lets End The Myth)

Yes I had bullets blow up on them running factory loads that ran 4200 fps mv these were Rem factory loads with the 25 gr bullets of the early 80's .

I don't know what a 30 gr bullet would do the jacket thickness would make a difference I reloaded some down to 3200 they did better but still not what I wanted for the gusting swirling winds . Shots were from 20 yards to 100 most times not any past 300 with that rifle .

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian
Brian ........Thanks for the feed back I do appreciate it.. Im mostly a trapper but see the advantages to calling. I Received a 17 Remington in April and have been doing load development. The only bullets I have are the 25gr Berger Varmint and the shoot really well in my gun. I did try some 30gr Reeds the Rebatted boat-tails this morning in a 15 MPH wind and I was still keeping them in a 1" square at 100. I realize that this is a LRH forum but the few coyotes I have called in were 150 yards or less and some I would have been better off with a shotgun. Later in the year im sure they wise up........... Do you have any experiance using the 25gr Berger and any 30gr bullets

Just out of curiosity: I've never played with .17 anything (except BB guns I guess) and always hear "established wisdom" from questionable sources…the thing that I always hear brought up is barrel fouling, that because the bore is so small to begin with, a film of copper and carbon that wouldn't really matter to even a .22 or 6mm bore diameter can throw the whole thing off on .17s, the 204 bore being a supposed cut off below the which loads and rifles get too "finicky" and sensitive to everything.

you guys on this thread actually shoot the things…is there any truth at all to this, do they foul worse than other guns, do they need to be cleaned religiously if groups aren't to go to pot right away? Or is this more "friend of a friend said" bs?

Man I never had issues with snow on nagels or Berger's out of a 17 remington or 17 tactical running 25s 4300fps. Guess I got lucky. What twist of barrel were you running?

I don't recall the twist rate it was a factory 700BDL and they were Rem bullets as at the time that was all that you could buy here for the 17 Rem . in the early 80's

The early bullets would a lot of the time disintegrate in midair.
Yes they did according to reports. That was one of the issues they needed to overcome.
I've never had that problem but others had. I imagine to thin of jackets for that kind of RPM, then later poor barrels would also smoke bullets.

I have about 200 of Reeds 30gr Rebatted boattails and some of the 32gr last two times i checked they are out of both and have been for some time Im shooting Nagels 30gr and Bergers 25gr. The Bergers outshoot everything. Shot a 5 shot group two weeks ago that was .159 and several in the low two's .209 and .211 Yesterday 5 shot at .314

I was going to build a custom .22 hornet and got talked into a .221 fireball, mid charge of lil gun, 40gr. V max, rem 7 1/5 primer and I'm getting 3,500fps one hole at 100 yards. First load tried! If I go with a solid bullet is that to much ummphh for fur friendly rifle, a friend of mine is talking up 17 hornet but don't know if I need two rifles that close together in small caliber
Bought a cz varmint in 17 hornet and 20 boxes of v max ammo