17 Rem,Tactical etc. (Lets End The Myth)

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian
You don't have to convince me I've taken at least a half dozen with the 17WSM, and posted all the shots here all drt one boogied 50 yards doing the circle jerk before piling up. I like the 17 WSM so much I bought a 17 Hornet CZ and will soon report how it does, I won't hesitate to shoot a coyote at 300 yards with the hornet. I entertained the 17 Rem, but felt the hornet would fill my niche. They're guys who complain are the same ones that say a yote hit with a 6mm and ran away unrecoverable.

I was going to build a custom .22 hornet and got talked into a .221 fireball, mid charge of lil gun, 40gr. V max, rem 7 1/5 primer and I'm getting 3,500fps one hole at 100 yards. First load tried! If I go with a solid bullet is that to much ummphh for fur friendly rifle, a friend of mine is talking up 17 hornet but don't know if I need two rifles that close together in small caliber

It's good that we all can and are able to choose what caliber we like to use and be able to say why we like it as well as the reasons that we may not like the caliber that others choose to like for the same use as the one we use . As for my choice I didn't like the 17 Remington for coyote hunting where I live because of the winds in my area and the drifting they would cause . With the factory loaded ammo running at 4200 fps mv and the 25 gr bullets they would some times blow up on things such as rain drops and snow flakes before they got to the target animal or drift way off course . I tried them in the early 80's when the brass was made from the 222 brass you could buy loaded ammo or a 25 gr flat base hollow point bullets and reload your own . I reloaded my own and used IMR 4320 as well as slowing them down to around 3200 fps mv then found that they did better but still not quite to my expectations for coyote or the winds in my area or at my altitude . So I ended up using a 223 loaded with 55 gr hpbt sierra bullets running at 2900 fps mv for my needs , area and conditions . But then when I was a kid here the bullet of choice for deer was a 22 lr or mag with a head shot from the hay stack at 50 feet or less to feed the family , so to each their own likes and dislikes , we all have our reasons for or against different calibers as it should be if we have indeed tried them to figure it out on our own and not just taken someone else's word for it .

I was going to build a custom .22 hornet and got talked into a .221 fireball, mid charge of lil gun, 40gr. V max, rem 7 1/5 primer and I'm getting 3,500fps one hole at 100 yards. First load tried! If I go with a solid bullet is that to much ummphh for fur friendly rifle, a friend of mine is talking up 17 hornet but don't know if I need two rifles that close together in small caliber
I hear you that's why I'm selling the 17 WSM , great rifle but I don't need 6 varmint rifles.

The only thing I don't like about my 17rem is dealing with the little tiny bullets and tiny necks. lol

XUahqPdh.jpg
That has to be one of the coolest rifles I've ever seen Holy crap brother she's a beaut!

That has to be one of the coolest rifles I've ever seen Holy crap brother she's a beaut!
I should sell it to you. I don't shoot the thing NEARLY as much as I should. Matter of fact, I'm going to sell about half of my rifles in the coming weeks/months. Time to boil away the stuff I don't spend time with anymore.

Look at the date on my last range report compared to previous. Literally shot it 14 times in the last 3 years. lol

I should sell it to you. I don't shoot the thing NEARLY as much as I should. Matter of fact, I'm going to sell about half of my rifles in the coming weeks/months. Time to boil away the stuff I don't spend time with anymore.

Look at the date on my last range report compared to previous. Literally shot it 14 times in the last 3 years. lol
Not sure I have much use for a 17 rem but it definitely would be a fun little gun to mess around with!

The only thing I don't like about my 17rem is dealing with the little tiny bullets and tiny necks. lol

XUahqPdh.jpg
If Kelbly built it, the thing shoots, they put the crap savage 17 WSM in a different, stock free floated, and bedded where they could and it shoots. They now are putting by CZ 17 Hornet together for me, I know it will shoot. A nice rifle, but not my color , GH's and coyotes can see color in my opinion. Nevertheless nice .

If Kelbly built it, the thing shoots, they put the crap savage 17 WSM in a different, stock free floated, and bedded where they could and it shoots. They now are putting by CZ 17 Hornet together for me, I know it will shoot. A nice rifle, but not my color , GH's and coyotes can see color in my opinion. Nevertheless nice .
It was built by TS Customs on a kelbly action. It shoots tiny little clusters.

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian
I started using a 17 Rem. on Red Fox in 1971 with pretty darn good results with the exception of fringe body hits. When Coyotes starting moving into this area it gave me the opportunity to see just how well the 25gr. Berger and Nagel bullets worked on Coyotes. As many of you know, they work great.
I don't have the experience some of you do with Coyotes as we didn't have then until 10 or so years ago. Every Coyote I've hit with the 17 Rem. has been a bang-flog. There were a few exceptions and once again, fringe hits don't work so well.
Not much of a picture with dead animals type of person but I do have this one. The rifle is a Kimber Montana rebarreled with a Lilja 17 Rem. barrel.

It's good that we all can and are able to choose what caliber we like to use and be able to say why we like it as well as the reasons that we may not like the caliber that others choose to like for the same use as the one we use . As for my choice I didn't like the 17 Remington for coyote hunting where I live because of the winds in my area and the drifting they would cause . With the factory loaded ammo running at 4200 fps mv and the 25 gr bullets they would some times blow up on things such as rain drops and snow flakes before they got to the target animal or drift way off course . I tried them in the early 80's when the brass was made from the 222 brass you could buy loaded ammo or a 25 gr flat base hollow point bullets and reload your own . I reloaded my own and used IMR 4320 as well as slowing them down to around 3200 fps mv then found that they did better but still not quite to my expectations for coyote or the winds in my area or at my altitude . So I ended up using a 223 loaded with 55 gr hpbt sierra bullets running at 2900 fps mv for my needs , area and conditions . But then when I was a kid here the bullet of choice for deer was a 22 lr or mag with a head shot from the hay stack at 50 feet or less to feed the family , so to each their own likes and dislikes , we all have our reasons for or against different calibers as it should be if we have indeed tried them to figure it out on our own and not just taken someone else's word for it .
Bullet would blow up on rain drops and snow flakes?????

YES traveling at 4200 fps mv I experienced bullets blow up on them as well a one that tumbled and hit side ways , didn't penetrate and blew a patch of hide off of a coyote's shoulder about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide the next round did the job and killed that coyote and that is how I found the missing patch of hide this was in the early 80's with the 25 gr Rem factory loads .