Lets Get It Started !!!

Thanks. Always worth the effort. One of the lightest colored dogs I have taken. Looking for just the right one to have full mount done. Still have some time.

jb

You should get out in those temps if weather cooperates. What I like is it's very peaceful! Very quiet in sub zero temps. I see you have some sage brush. Have experienced a few in those areas. Very cool to see them appear out of nowhere.

tt35
Left a few out there for you. Always appreciate a drive by...

Let us know how all of you do!

Yote dr... Lol... I had my brother out with me this evening checking some loads I worked up for some new Hornady 53gr vmax that I have been wanting to play with for both his and my ARs, and he was shaking like a leaf! I think it was around 20* F with a 10 mph wind. Not sure I'm getting him out in -12 to -19 degree temps!! :D

Two more drive-bys Saturday but I sure hope to get some dedicated calling in this week. Work is just getting in the way of play. Gotta get over that.... The last coyote gave me four standing shots before I connected. (Embarrassed.) I like to think it was because of my new suppressor but it was probably just because it was a dumb pup. lightbulb

YD: I have a friend who hates to see them coming. He gets too jacked up and can't hit them when they get there. Personally, I'd rather see 'em coming from a half mile and get set up on them. I don't work well under pressure, I guess. :rolleyes:

Jtpintx... Are you getting those mutts in Texas....currently. Snow in you neck of...?

Nice score. Though could have lived without the brain surgery shot lol!

Yes, here in the TX Panhandle. We don't get snow all the time but get a decent dose 8-10 times a year. Got our first good snow for the year last weekend. I love hunting snow, but don't get to call in it as often as I would like!

On that stand I called in a pair, and shot the female in the chest at 100 yards, DRT. The male ran off over the hill, I could barely see his head moving through the grass. I hit Coyote Pup Distress #3 on the CS-24 and that stopped him. He looked back over the crest of the hill from about 225 yards out. All I could see was his eyes and ears. That rifle is a fast twist .220 Swift that shoots 69 SMK's into little bitty groups at speeds 500-600 fps faster than what that bullet is designed for. :D Top of the head was the only shot I had, so that is where he got it! Haven't shot alot of yotes with that load yet, but it seems to be working so far.

Third coyote had been hanging around the landowners cattle pens on his headquaters place, and the landowner was worried it was going to get a couple of little dogs he has. So I went over there and called him up, and settled his hash for him.

Three dogs in three stands calling solo, pretty good afternoon for me!

Very nicely done! Snow always helps for spotting. And tracking if you need it. Some days it just comes together and some not. Like yesterday, had seen 3 coyotes on stand but would not commit. They were all over 1k yards away so not surprised.

What sound or sequence has been working for you guys this year?

Over 80% of mine have came in using my hand howler. Starting with long howls and sometimes throwing out pup distress with same call.

Yeah, some days it works, some it doesn't!

Last night was beautiful, zero wind. My son and I went night calling out of the rack, called 6 stands in awesome country that had been called very little. Could hear tons of howling, some of it close. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them, no dice. Called two on one stand, that was it all night. One confirmed kill, second was a probable but couldn't find it in the tall grass. Quit at 11:30 and called it a night, it just wasn't working. Some nights (or days) are just like that.

Usually I use the CS-24, have about half a dozen "go to" sounds. Adult cottontail, waning jack, lightning jack, of course coyote pup distress #3 ( that is my "call back" sound for after the shot, female submissive howl, coyote pair yip howls. I also carry mouth calls too. My favorite closed reed is my Carver .220 Swift, very nice and easy to blow. Also carry a Song Dog and couple of Carver open reeds. I have a dozen mouth calls but those are the ones that go with me.

Man... I can't afford all those goodies, what I've been using for the last couple of years is a foxpro spitfire. It's done a dang good job considering the price. I've laid out a couple of tracks using a free program called audacity. One is about 17 minutes and I have another that runs about 20-21 minutes. The 16 minute run usually gets the job done.... Lower volume cottontail distress, followed by jack distress, then lightning jack, coyote challenge , and lastly pup distress.

They usually show up for the first 3... But for the first time ever 2 Sundays ago, they totally ignored the distress calls and came charging in for the challenge call. I was pleasantly surprise as I was considering remixing that set with another sound... Although hadn't made up my mind yet as to what, which is why I still had it on our last outing. Think I'll leave it in for a bit longer and see if I get any more on the hook. Wish I could use the hand calls... But just have never really had much luck using one.... Plus I usually use a big camcorder sized thermal scope so my hands are tied up scanning with it...so. That thermal has helped so much that it far outweighs the lack of being able to call myself. Have been able to get a fix on dogs that we may not have even noticed otherwise.

Most of my stuff is really pretty basic. The CS-24 is the old original model without sequences, Foxbang, and of that. Just solid electronics, 10 presets, and a great speaker. It will hold like 500 sounds, but I just have about 60 on it. It was Dad's machine before he passed away a couple years ago, he was a pretty serious caller.

I have some nice rifles but that has been a serious hobby for many years. That didn't happen overnight. Some of the mouth calls were Dad's, some mine. The Lightforce is a recent addition, and I really like it, especially the dimmer. You can crank it way down to not spook, but instant power when you need it.

My rack is actually a really simple little home-built job that works for two people. I wanted something small and compact that was easy to take in and out, and didn't turn the pickup into a cruise ship, so I just got out the welder and built what I wanted. Low key but workable, and that is just what I got. Turned out perfect for our use. Usually my son sits in the chair, and I stand on one of the toolboxes to run the light and caller. Power point plug in the bed under the toolbox, and the rack has a new addition (since these pictures), an adjustable height pole that the caller goes on top of, holding it up above line of vision.

That's a sweet setup! Out here... We generally hike in. I don't have a pickup, so my brother, so, nephew and I just hoof it in to our sets. I actually am getting a little old to be sitting in the snow and rocks, so this is the first year I've been considering getting one of those pad seats that hooks to your pack or belt. My butt just feels like a block of ice sometimes during these winter months!! :D

Sometimes we night call out of the rack. Yesterday evening I was set up sniper-hide style over a dead cow in 25+ mph winds. Yesterday morning (calm) I was hiking into sets solo and calling. Just depends when/where/what style I am doing as to what method I employ.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.