Lets Talk Fox

Foxes in the Uk wail and screem and howl all through the mating season, the vixons sound as though someone is trying to kill a baby and people report to the police that someone is being attacked.

Foxpro callers have these calls in there callers and they work but only in the mating season but if you have a fox that turns and runs if you play the call most times they stop and give you a chance for a shot.

We always had the best luck with fox pup distress calls...I was told the females come in to see what's going on, males come in to kill the pup. Don't know if that's true, but it worked.

The only reason I see for them to circle down wind is when they are curious but something does not seem wright to them.
The best night to call foxes are cold and windy I have had them come to a few feet away.
The guy that calls and lamps when I am shooting called 2 foxes at the same time from two ends of the same feild I shot 1 at 25yds and the other one was that close all I could see through a 6x50 scope was a foxes head totaly out of focus so I put the cross hairs where I though its eyes should be and squose the trigger 2 dead foxes with 2 shots.

At the time of the mating season fox cubs are nearly full grown so the bit about killing pups is probably not true, but they are very territorial against other dog foxes.
The dog foxes are like most male animals they have no sence when they are chasing a female so are much easier to shoot.

Do the circle downwind when they come in to that call. ?

This may sound stupid, but we never paid much attention to the wind. We've had them come in behind us, sometimes within a couple feet. Again, I don't know why the pup distress works so well, but we've tried several other distress calls and nothing worked as good as that. Coyotes come in once in a while too.

On our ranch in West Texas, fox (grey) are a piece of cake to call in. Whoever came up with the saying "sly as a fox" had obviously not been around too many. Sure they are smarter than chickens but, come on, so are brine shrimp.

A few weeks ago we called in 3 grey foxes in less than an hour. We didn't even pretend to hide. Heck, we didn't even get out of the truck. I just put the caller out and started working the magic.

Last year, my dad was looking for sheds and walked up on what he thought was a dead animal, only to discover it was sleeping fox!

dumbfox.JPG

We only have red foxes in the UK and they are realy switched on, but sometimes like any other animals you get stupid ones.
We were out about a month ago with the lamp and saw an eye flash and walked to about 25yds of a fox who was worming.
It was no contest 55grns out of a 22-250 one dead fox.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.