Lets Get It Started !!!

Winter 2013 Have some more from last year will post when I Find them

Attachments

• Coyote Winter 2013.jpg
    Coyote Winter 2013.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 89
Been following this thread since its inception and finally got a chance to get out this year. It's been a warm fall so didn't expect well furred mutts yet, but this is an image of my first from my first day out of the season. It was a bit of a weird one because after a few rabbit distress calls, I went with yote challenge and the bugger just came busting in hard at my electronic caller. The sage was tall enough I almost didn't see it as I was on flat terrain with no way to get decent vantage, but I noticed ears popping up and down above the brush at about 100 yards, from upwind off to my left. Thought it was low flying sparrows at first until about 60-70 yards and then I realized I had a mutt coming at a sprint, so fast I hardly had time to mute the call before it had closed the distance. It veered off away from me and the call, moving directly away out to 115 yards. I didn't even see the change in direction as I lost it in the sage, but all of a sudden, it and another unseen mutt start challenge barking directly in front of me. For a second... I thought my e-caller somehow unmuted, but then realized their vocals didn't match any of my sets. I eased up my rifle... Looking out directly towards the sound and just caught this yotes ears and eyes peeking over the brush, no nose visible, looking back towards where the caller was placed. I could see another set of ears poking up just off to this females right. I aimed just below her eyes and let off a round. When I Stood up to go out and check... I noticed the second set of ear fleeing hard left and away deep in the brush. Couldn't get a shot, so let it go, but this was left for me where I was hoping I'd find her. Pretty good looking dog for such a warm fall. Bullet actually went right into her mouth and out the spine on the far side. Only dogs of the day but I only spent one bullet, so the rest will be saved for next time. Great first set for my first day out.
image.jpg

Good looking dog. Nice work. Fur is getting nice and thick up here in MT. Taking the day off tomorrow. Hope to be posting something here shortly!

Made it out yesterday afternoon for one stand. Temp had dropped to -12 and was a 1/2 mile hike in. Long story but spotted 2 dogs trying to run down pheasants. When I turned on Foxpro, one took off running the other direction. I pulled out my trusty howler and worked the magic. After 25 minutes of teasing Mr Wiley, I stopped him at 88 yards. After he covered almost 3/4 mile, the 30gr Kindler Gold out of my 17 Rem hit the mark. With coyote in tow, the walk back to the truck was enjoyable.

Keep up the good work fellas!

bad92423-9724-413f-a3f2-7327a859348f_zps3a07409d.jpg

Yote Dr.... Wow... I can't believe the snow you've got already. This Sunday when my brother and I were out here in Idaho and I got that yote, it got up into the low 60s F. However, today... The temp dropped severely and it only got up to 29*F...and snow in the forecast for tomorrow, but -12!!! I'm sure glad I'm not having to go out in those temps. You are a stud! Congrats on the mutt!!

I love the cold!
043de0ce-1d1d-497b-9bb2-c514f259f638_zps5915a781.jpg

Well I did take the day off. Put 307 miles (7 miles from Canadian border) on the dodge ram, and came home with two beauty's. I spotted a red fox on first stand but could not get him to come my way. Then this big pale bellied male came in. Took a little sweet talking and then made the 110 yard facing shot with 17 Rem. (tipped over backwards). I had seen another coyote while driving so worked my way around to hide the truck. Hiked in around half mile and it didnt take more than 5 minutes for him to show at the top of the ridge. Whap! Two down.

Man do I love calling coyotes.......

0dfb24d2-bd11-4ec7-b991-863ac5417f09_zpsa2a94c86.jpg

6e837bf4-d203-4d4f-9f37-511bf703baba_zpsaaf9a856.jpg

You're tearing them up now, YD! Man, that is a pale coyote. Love it. I shot a driveby yesterday then made it out for two sets before dark yesterday evening. Two domestic dogs showed up but no canis latrans. It's supposed to get down around zero the next few nights. Won't be able to call again 'til next week though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.