140 grain 6.5 berger elite hunter

Dollar55, 2800 with 140 gr bullet in 6.5 Creedmoor is right up against the stops...you prolly wont get much more than that--more like 2650-2700 range in a lot of bullet/powder combo. That 140 Berger is a good bullet...I'd say run the ladder 'til you hit the node and the group tightens up and don't worry too much about max velocity or if you're currently getting good results but a sticky chamber, back down a bit and go with it. I get 2820 in .260 rem with 44 grs RL-19, Lapua Brass, CCI-BR-2 primers, seated about 020--I haven't measured but go to 2.82 COAL. In the 6.5 Creedmoor my son and friend get about 2700 using 41.5 gr RL-17...hotter than that starts to get sticky.

Going to start with h4350, shooting a Christensen LR mesa 6.5 creedmoor. Does anyone have experience with the elites as far as starting seating depth? Would appreciate any and all input

The Elite Hunters show some flexibility for seating depth so you can start at 0.020" off the lands, run some load development and then fine tune with some some adjust to the lands.

I differ with nearly everyone on the powder as I have given up on H-4350 and switched to Re-26 for many cartridges. You can achieve better velocities at lower pressure with this powder and the Elite Hunter bullet using a full case. We shoot this through nearly every 6.5 Creedmoor we build with great success.

Dollar55, 2800 with 140 gr bullet in 6.5 Creedmoor is right up against the stops...you prolly wont get much more than that--more like 2650-2700 range in a lot of bullet/powder combo. That 140 Berger is a good bullet...I'd say run the ladder 'til you hit the node and the group tightens up and don't worry too much about max velocity or if you're currently getting good results but a sticky chamber, back down a bit and go with it. I get 2820 in .260 rem with 44 grs RL-19, Lapua Brass, CCI-BR-2 primers, seated about 020--I haven't measured but go to 2.82 COAL. In the 6.5 Creedmoor my son and friend get about 2700 using 41.5 gr RL-17...hotter than that starts to get sticky.
Thank you. I backed off .2 grain and at 2790. I'm using a Lapua Brass with F205m primers. Over sized whole at 100 and will get it set for 200. Thanks again

The Elite Hunters show some flexibility for seating depth so you can start at 0.020" off the lands, run some load development and then fine tune with some some adjust to the lands.

I differ with nearly everyone on the powder as I have given up on H-4350 and switched to Re-26 for many cartridges. You can achieve better velocities at lower pressure with this powder and the Elite Hunter bullet using a full case. We shoot this through nearly every 6.5 Creedmoor we build with great success.
What velocities are you seeing and barrel lengths please?

Corey

More likely than not, I run 26" barrels for nearly everything I build. But I've been working with short barrels for the last year or so, 19", 20", 21" and 22"for various cartridge/bullet combinations. I also run at 2.925" for DBM which is what my reamers are set up for using the 140s and 130 grain bullets.

I'm getting right around 2840 with four different powders and a full case with the 22" barrel. This limits me to about 600 - 700 for 1,000 ft/lbs of energy when hunting. For competition rifles and short barrels I use the 130 gr. bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.