Caliber combination for prairie dog hunting?

Heck, my best and longest shot on a prairie dog was with my 7 mag at a touch over 600 yards. I find it just as enjoyable using your long range big game hunting rifle as a .22 caliber gun but with longer intervals between shots. Even with little critters, it's about shot placement, not volume of fire
If a few shots a day at long range is all one wishes, I guess a 7Mag or other such cartridges/rifles could be made to work, but there would be no way I would wish to use such cartridges on many of the P-dog towns I have shot. Heck, even some of the slower towns I've shot are 100-200 rounds a day with the better ones in the 400-500 round area. And most those were with bolt guns and timed, accurate fire. Getting pounded by a mag, especially prone, burning lots of costly powder and bullets, burning throats on larger game rifles, and sending large bullets ricocheting across the country side just doesn't sound like fun...... at least to me. YMMV

If a few shots a day at long range is all one wishes, I guess a 7Mag or other such cartridges/rifles could be made to work, but there would be no way I would wish to use such cartridges on many of the P-dog towns I have shot. Heck, even some of the slower towns I've shot are 100-200 rounds a day with the better ones in the 400-500 round area. And most those were with bolt guns and timed, accurate fire. Getting pounded by a mag, especially prone, burning lots of costly powder and bullets, burning throats on larger game rifles, and sending large bullets ricocheting across the country side just doesn't sound like fun...... at least to me. YMMV
I completely understand where your coming from, this is just a personal view on prairie dog shooting, I live close to my shooting grounds so going out and shooting 20 rounds from a 22.250 or 5 from a 7 mag is good enough for me. I practice more for 1 precise shot, for me, heating up a barrel to the point you can't touch it doesn't do much for accuracy and there isn't any ricocheting going on, this is dry desert country with hills everywhere and no houses for miles. And I can tell you it's very enjoyable.

I could gravitated to a heavier 223 load for my current 1:8 barrel for longer ranges. Then build another upper in 223 with a slower twist and lighter bullets for the medium ranges. Maybe pick up a 17hmr along the way too.

Does this seem like a good starting point to get out there and get started?

I completely understand where your coming from, this is just a personal view on prairie dog shooting, I live close to my shooting grounds so going out and shooting 20 rounds from a 22.250 or 5 from a 7 mag is good enough for me. I practice more for 1 precise shot, for me, heating up a barrel to the point you can't touch it doesn't do much for accuracy and there isn't any ricocheting going on, this is dry desert country with hills everywhere and no houses for miles. And I can tell you it's very enjoyable.
I hear you, but we never heat barrels to the point of not touching them. Hence, one of the reasons we always take 3 or more on those multi-day shoots to swap out if getting too "warm". Which takes a while with heavy varmint barrels in 222/223. Even when I am shooting more local, which I have spent some time in Western CO doing, I have no issues reaching way out with heavy VLD 22 cals or 6mm varieties. My longest P-dog kill is 1,008 yds with a 25-06 using 85gr NBT. Same load on a yote at 1,031yds.

The op is planning a multi-day trip to SD, so it seems he is planning for a serious dog shoot that may entail many hundreds of rounds for the hunt, if not each day. That is, if he finds some good towns.

Again, I understand your situ and locale, and it sounds like you have things covered well for what it entails. As always, enjoy those "pops".

In many ways the PDs are like hogs for us in Tx, just another target. They both are not very beneficial to the land and a lot of people want to erradicate them. Me, I just shoot them with a 223 or with a 300 PRC, but just shoot!!!!! I can certainly understand the fun in shooting a few rounds from a big magnum at a few dogs. Not driving 1000 miles from Tx though. Gotta take a lot of different rifles and shoot at a lot of dogs for several days!!!! And maybe sip a little whiskey at the end of a great day.........shooting!!!!

I could gravitated to a heavier 223 load for my current 1:8 barrel for longer ranges. Then build another upper in 223 with a slower twist and lighter bullets for the medium ranges. Maybe pick up a 17hmr along the way too.

Does this seem like a good starting point to get out there and get started?
I think you will enjoy the shoot with either bullet choices, but I would lean toward 60gr and higher BC's that will load and feed well in your mags, have better wind drift and give very good accuracy. You can still load the 53's for days/times the winds are calm to light. If they are. Don't over think it. You will have a great time.

I think you will enjoy the shoot with either bullet choices, but I would lean toward 60gr and higher BC's that will load and feed well in your mags, have better wind drift and give very good accuracy. You can still load the 53's for days/times the winds are calm to light. If they are. Don't over think it. You will have a great time.
Thank you

Thanks to everyone for the good info and discussion.

I had a 10 twist 700 Rem 223 that just loved 52 grain Speer HP . Shot out 3 barrels over the years. My last trip out had a 8 twist 223 and used 65 Sierria GK . Both rounds gave a satisfying red mist and resounding whop.

Also used a 22-250 and 6MM while cooling barrels.

I had a 10 twist 700 Rem 223 that just loved 52 grain Speer HP . Shot out 3 barrels over the years. My last trip out had a 8 twist 223 and used 65 Sierria GK . Both rounds gave a satisfying red mist and resounding whop.

Also used a 22-250 and 6MM while cooling barrels.
I've never tried Sierra's in any caliber. I'll look into them. Thank you.

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.

A bolt 17 HMR for hiking around and taking them offhand, then a couple of 223's a good AR and a bolt gun and you'll be golden. After your first trip you can regroup and sort out what you wish to do next.

We used to shoot a ton load of the little buggers, and this worked well for us. Though I normally had my 7 Mashburn Super with Premier Dotz to 700 for the longer dogs.

I haven't bothered them in a lotta years as I don't have much against them anymore. My 6 year old grand daughter is itching to go so I may have to get her out after them...there's a ton load of them for her to bother:)

You are over thinking this. My buddy and I took three ARe and a bolt rifle in 223. We shoot 52 gr SMK (not the best for quick long range kills), 55 grain Hornady soft points, and factory Fianchi 55 gr softpoint. The longest confirmed shot was 675 yards. Many at 500ish, tons in closer, one with a 45 ACP at 30 yards...

raising arizona bunny GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Recent Posts