prairie dog hunting

Figure out if you want to DIY of hire an outfitter. Advantages to both. The where is important, which state?? I went out and shot some yesterday, The dogs are still here.
The equipment can very. Bino's, rangefinder, shade, cooler, spare rifles....

This is what I'm starting to figure out. I initially thought no guide, find somewhere, but seeing it's the first time, some level of guidance would probably be worth it. I certainly don't need the full service, fancy lodge, nice meals package that costs big $$, but a place to sleep, and someone to show me where the dogs are I can justify.

Where is another open topic. As I'll be driving solo with a young teen as my copilot, the closer to Ohio the better, but getting to a solid destination is worth more than saving a few hours of drive time. Further research needed.

Equipment is also still in the works. Have all the axillary stuff, shade, bags, binos, etc. but still need to add a couple rifles for sure. He has a 10/22 he's spot on out to 100 yd+ with for starters, and I have a couple 16" barrel AR's that would suffice for a little more than that, but a couple dedicated bolt guns will be added before the trip. Would love to stick with .223 for simplicity and ammo sharing capabilities, but may change up a bit if I find something already built as a package. I'm certainly aware that our lack of experience will limit us on distance before even an average quality built rifle/scope package will.

I went to South Dakota and had a great time. Well run outfit, plenty of shooting.

Dakota Hunting Trips - Prairie Dog Lodge

Looked at the link, I'll be emailing them shortly. Looks promising. thanks.

Thinking a mid-June time frame, three days shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.