6.5 PRC 153.5 grn Berger for 1000yds and 1 mile.

kdrogers71775

Been working with this load for a while.
Powder: VV N565
Charge:58 grains
Primer:CCI #34
Brass: Hornady (its all i have)

Rifle
Ruger hawkeye target in MDT chassis.
Optics: U.S. Optics FDN 25X

Current velocity is around 3050 fps.
Berger stability calculator says i should be stable.

However....at 1 mile?..... with 1:8" twist. Will my bullet spin enough RPM to hold true at 1760yds.
1000yds has been very consistent.

1/2" groups at 100yds consistently.

Thanks everyone.

I shoot that bullet in my Creed at 2550 'ish and it's stable out that far with a 7.5 twist. I can't imagine it wouldn't be with yours at that speed.

From my understanding, gyroscopic stability will only increase down range, as fps decays faster than rpm, so that should be no issue.

At sea level, JBM ballistics does suggest you'll be pretty close to the super/sub sonic transition at 1760 yards, which could have some unwanted effects, though it appears you'll still be above mach 1 unless your shooting on a cold day.

Just for perspective, a 1 mph wind is good for 20" of drift at a mile...better get those wind calls right on...

Wow.
Shooting at a target a mile away is mind blowing.
Will be following this with interest.
Good luck.

I've shot at a mile with 147 ELDM's.
Their BC is almost identical to the 153.5's. They're getting pretty sketchy at a mile. I'm not real impressed by them even at 1200 yards. My 30 cal 245 grain bullets have become my go to for those longer ranges.

I've only played with them a little and wound up back at the 153 a tip. In fact right now
I've been running the 135 a tip for shots to a mile but mostly around 1500 and less. I've been very happy with the performance. You might consider the 147 and 153 hornady as options.

I run a berger 144 hybrid target in 6.5x284 the 147's gave to much SD which prints vertically . Retumbo and H1000. The berger 153 is to long and takes up to much room for the powder to push it fast enough
to take advantage of the higher BC , in that case Capacity The PRC is same way.
if i ever find RL 26 i will try the 153 again.
i'm at 5000 ft elevation so im super sonic to the mile ,so its a lil easier ,without worrying about stability issues through trans sonic .
i would like to push to 2000 yrds someday. But a mile is all the room i have on my range . Ihave a couple of 260 rem but they are set up for hunting and not really an extreme range tool.
i have never tried the Atips

What is your % case capacity with n565 ?
i dont really use that brand of powder