I joined the 1 mile club!

mfran615

As the title says, I finally had the opportunity to join the 1 mile club! I have been wanting to shoot long range since I was a kid, and I was recently able to put together a rifle capable of doing just that. I chose the 7 SAUM and love it. The rifle was completed early this year, and I was able to quickly find a great load for it using the 168 VLDs. Until this year, I had only shot beyond a 100 yard range 1 time, and that was only 5 rounds with my .270 at 375 yards about 10 years ago. About 2 months ago I shot at a 700 yard range and hit the targets far more than I missed. I was pleasantly surprised that I did as well as I did. I then tried 1,000 yards shortly after, only to discover my scope base screws had come loose. This past weekend, I was visiting family in SC and went to a club my cousin had just joined. He thought it was only a 1,000 yard range, but when we got there, I ranged the furthest target at over 1750 yards (they say it's 1776 yards). What a pleasant surprise to unexpectedly be shooting at a 1 mile range. After a few hits at 1,000, I switched over to the 1 mile target with my cousin spotting. The first shot was close - only about 2-3 feet right. I was somewhat shocked. The next 3 were just as close, but at other locations. On the 5th shot, I finally got my impact that I was looking for. He then received a phone call from the office that it was time to pack up. I have quickly become hooked on long range shooting and plan on doing it a few times a month. For those interested, my rifle is built around the Defiance Tenacity with a Brux prefit barrel from Keystone Precision, and an Area 419 Hellfire Match brake. The barreled action is sitting in a McMillan A-5 adjustable stock with a Hawkins M5 DBM. The trigger is a TT Diamond. This was the first time shooting with my new Tract 4-20 x 50 (HIGHLY recommended) other than a quick range trip to get my zero and check velocity. I was using a Harris bipod and an Armageddon bag, but just got my Accu Tac bipod in which I will try out Wednesday. I suppose this post is long enough, but I am beyond excited to have finally been able to shoot a mile with reasonable success.

Well done!! Sounds like it shoots well sub MOA out there a long way.
Apparently it does. I haven't shot any groups past 100 with it yet as I've only been able to shoot steel at my range, but hopefully will be able to try a few 1k groups soon.

Geez. Thats a long fricken way!! Congrats. Hoping to dial in a 300 PRC to be able to do the same over the next year or so.
It's really not as difficult as I imagined it would be. It is addicting though. I have a 1+ mile range 2 hours south of my and I'm planning on going this week to do it again. With a good rifle and optic, good ammo and a good ballistics calculator, you should be close the first shot.