1000 POUND HOGS--- Yes they are out there

What kind of velocity does the .458 socom run? I am not familiar with it. We were talking about it last night, that we need to develop a bullet for it. As it has become very popular.

Steve

300's run around 1800fps. Speaking of 458 socom what I would give to come across a hog of that size and let loose a pack of angry hornets on it from mine.

Boy I sure wish you were selling hunts lol. I can never get enough of hog killing. Pretty much would turn down whitetail to kill them. So much fun and to get a monster like that hell ya. They invented the .458 socom for a reason. That will put down anything you hit with it.

There are times I'm deer hunting while praying for hogs to show. I agree can't get enough of killing hogs.

What kind of velocity does the .458 socom run? I am not familiar with it. We were talking about it last night, that we need to develop a bullet for it. As it has become very popular.

Steve

I'm running 1980fps with 300gr raptors out of mine. 300gr Barnes run a bit slower as do the nosler I run. Yes you should seeing a bullet. I actually run two different raptors the 300 and the 259gr as they sold me on the light one first but then I realized I built the gun for short distance work only and moved to the 300 and haven't looked back

Sounds to me like the 458 socom is good for what it was designed for. Door to door close combat. Get out to 100y and you might as well be hitting with a slingshot.

Steve

I like it inside of 200 yards. I've killed with it at 290 but it lethality is greatly reduced at that distance. The round was basically designed after an informal conversation with some SOF guys following what happened in Somalia. If you come out with a bullet I'd love to try it. A big design feature I'd like to see is a shorter bearing surface to try and speed it up to increase the hydrostatic shock effect on a target.

TX as to size. My brother has six cameras on his place. He catalogs every deer and hog, thousands. He knows his stuff. He said FANG is much, much larger than the black sow we shot in the picture. The red boar in the picture was four and one half feet long and the black sow was six feet long. These were very representative of the size of the hogs that we shot.

I like it inside of 200 yards. I've killed with it at 290 but it lethality is greatly reduced at that distance. The round was basically designed after an informal conversation with some SOF guys following what happened in Somalia. If you come out with a bullet I'd love to try it. A big design feature I'd like to see is a shorter bearing surface to try and speed it up to increase the hydrostatic shock effect on a target.

When we sit down to design one it will be purpose built for the platform so as to maximize powder capacity and feed correctly. We'll see what it weighs. Probably going to be a bunch lighter and a bunch faster.

Steve

I built mine on a Savage 10, you can get much higher velocities because a bolt gun can handle pressures that would blow an AR to tiny pieces. this is from the 458 SOCOM forum a while back. Check out the Lehigh Defense 570 grain bullets !!

So that's my bullet of choice but I don't need it to cycle as I built a bolt gun. If you've never done a Savage build it's super easy. How easy ?? Think "I must be doing something wrong because it's too easy" easy, cuz that's how easy.
I started with a used model 11 in .243 Win from Gunbroker for $240(any of the short actions based on the .308 work,22-250,etc). A couple tools; action wrench, barrel nut wrench, go-gage.

The scope almost fell of and the trigger broke at almost 6lbs so I can tell this was no tack driver, might be why they sold it so cheap because Savages are accurate.

Loosen the barrel nut(basically a jam nut) then unscrew the barrel.

Put the nut and recoil lug on the new barrel, a 16" 1-10" twist threaded for brake $250 from Apache Gun Works.

Screw it in until you lightly contact the bolt face. Put the "Go" gage in, like chambering a bullet, and lightly try to close the bolt. You will unscrew the barrel until the bolt does close. Then remove the go gage and put in the no-go gage. The bolt should not close.

Bolt closed on go gage

Bolt not closed on no-go gage

That is it, setting the headspace is done !
Then tighten the barrel nut and recheck the headspace to ensure it didn't move.

Bullets fit nicely in the stock mag....compare the 570 Lehigh.

It is a beast !

Harrel's Precision 4 port tactical brake, ports are at 10 & 2 o'clock to tame muzzle jump.

It's a brass bullet which I have no experience with but have been reloading rifle, pistol, and shotgun rounds for many years. Lots of 300 Blackout subs too !!
Thanks
and this guy can really shoot !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ob0fgc0I7A

A short video I made back in February 2013 when I had a trapper on my place in Frio County, Texas. Out of seven traps in six days these guys caught 112 head of feral hogs in an area less than a half mile square. The bait was corn and molasses in standard trip door rectangular traps. They were baited and ran every morning and the animals went holding pens on another location. The day he picked the traps up he caught I believe twelve in four traps but had to stop because of a job they had in Giddings Texas oilfield related. Every now and then we catch a fairly large pig in a trap but never what I would call giant, the big ones are trap savvy, I have even seen a big sow run pigs away from traps. The biggest hog kill I witnessed was on a section of land we owned adjacent to this property during a helicopter hunt. The helicopter belonged to my fathers first cousins son who leased our pasture then. They had a shooter in the chopper and several on the ground that caught the pigs when they came out of the brush. In about four hours and eighteen cases of buckshot later they had over 250 confirmed dead on trailers, two that were refrigerated and one not. I have no idea what they did with the carcasses but we had strict rules to get them out. We didn't want a buzzard roost on the place. I am sure they missed some.
I have hours of video of hogs and try to do my share of harassing them but there is no end to them here. No children were harmed in the making of this video. And the chain link fence material used in the trap is not lightweight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Frts2-J30

I built mine on a Savage 10, you can get much higher velocities because a bolt gun can handle pressures that would blow an AR to tiny pieces. this is from the 458 SOCOM forum a while back. Check out the Lehigh Defense 570 grain bullets !!

So that's my bullet of choice but I don't need it to cycle as I built a bolt gun. If you've never done a Savage build it's super easy. How easy ?? Think "I must be doing something wrong because it's too easy" easy, cuz that's how easy.
I started with a used model 11 in .243 Win from Gunbroker for $240(any of the short actions based on the .308 work,22-250,etc). A couple tools; action wrench, barrel nut wrench, go-gage.

The scope almost fell of and the trigger broke at almost 6lbs so I can tell this was no tack driver, might be why they sold it so cheap because Savages are accurate.

Loosen the barrel nut(basically a jam nut) then unscrew the barrel.

Put the nut and recoil lug on the new barrel, a 16" 1-10" twist threaded for brake $250 from Apache Gun Works.

Screw it in until you lightly contact the bolt face. Put the "Go" gage in, like chambering a bullet, and lightly try to close the bolt. You will unscrew the barrel until the bolt does close. Then remove the go gage and put in the no-go gage. The bolt should not close.

Bolt closed on go gage

Bolt not closed on no-go gage

That is it, setting the headspace is done !
Then tighten the barrel nut and recheck the headspace to ensure it didn't move.

Bullets fit nicely in the stock mag....compare the 570 Lehigh.

It is a beast !

Harrel's Precision 4 port tactical brake, ports are at 10 & 2 o'clock to tame muzzle jump.

It's a brass bullet which I have no experience with but have been reloading rifle, pistol, and shotgun rounds for many years. Lots of 300 Blackout subs too !!
Thanks

Those pics aren't showing on my computer and I'd be very interested to see what they look like. =)

Attachments

• 20150529_164621_zpsosf6blal.jpg
    20150529_164621_zpsosf6blal.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20150529_175320_zpsztbxpriv.jpg
    20150529_175320_zpsztbxpriv.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20150529_175806_zpsfjqam3y5.jpg
    20150529_175806_zpsfjqam3y5.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 20150422_165550_zps7rvflzk5.jpg
    20150422_165550_zps7rvflzk5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 137
1800 fps at the muzzle? Most of our shots were at 100. What does it at left at 100 and 125? Plus who's building an AR in one?

The raptor bullets have a short bearing surface raising the fps a bit. As others stated it works out to 200 great. I took a axis at around 160 if I'm remembering right and bullet worked as expected. 200 is my max and usually don't bring it out if I can shoot farther than 100 yards. They guns were pretty expensive over a grand for upper only. But just recently an upper can be had much cheaper from radical firearms. The whole gun can be bought from either them or rock river arms.

When I looked at a hog killer I decided on another good choice that works really well.

I went with the 450 Bushmaster because it would work in a AR 15 platform, hold 10 rounds for fast follow up shots and if brass became scarce it could be made from 284 Winchester just by trimming the neck and shoulder back to length.

Ballistics are = 250 grain bullets @ 2200 ft/sec for a muzzle energy of 2686 ft/lbs of energy.
So far 185 yards is as far as I have tried it and it didn't let me down. Most of the time I use a 7mm STW for shots over 150 yards.

This is my go to hog rifle, especially if I have to go into the brush for them. the other weapon
for this duty is a 3 1/2 " semi auto shot gun with as many 3 1/2 " 00 buck shot as it will take.

Just another option

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.