1 person+gear 4 season tent/shelter deciding

I'm not an against fire. I'm against carrying a stove.

When your favorite celeb Bryan call was in the teams, I can assure you he didn't have one out in Alaska when he was doing cross country/ cold weather survival in Alaska. Because they don't issue stoves. If he uses one now, then

I'm not an against fire. I'm against carrying a stove.

When your favorite celeb Bryan call was in the teams, I can assure you he didn't have one out in Alaska when he was doing cross country/ cold weather survival in Alaska. Because they don't issue stoves. If he uses one now, then
We didn't carry them in SERE either.

Thankfully when I elk hunt I'm no longer stuck with military issue gear or packing lists.😉

Of course it's not making you survive. But it can help you stick it out a little longer in sh$tty weather and actually kill something you might have otherwise not killed.

I could probably survive under a bushcraft/lean to shelter for the night by throwing on all my puffy layers, making a sleep pad with pine branches and making a big fire.

But I'd sleep like sh$t, would hunt like sh$t and probably be back at the truck way sooner than I otherwise would've been.

Everything is a trade off. We had unseasonably warm weather this year and for the first 3 days I regretted packing the wood stove. It just wasn't really necessary. But I've also had hunts where I thanked my lucky stars I threw it in my pack.

Bottom line, dismissing a piece of gear outright you have never used isn't wise.
I agree there is a trade off.
What makes you think I never used it? Lol

I said I don't use it. It's not working for me.

I want to be lighter. I want to go further. I want to go higher. And of course the layers and equipment for the cold make it heavier already.

I tend to put more into the layers and a sleep system capable of what I'm doing,

We didn't carry them in SERE either.

Thankfully when I elk hunt I'm no longer stuck with military issue gear.😉
That's the point. It's a crutch that takes up other room and space that affects performance.

SERE for like level C is dumb and yes, there's a lot of dumb things in the military. However, if it was something that would benefit people in expeditionary warfare, or cold weather mountain warfare…I think someone would have considered it..

Last edited:
That's the point. It's a crutch that takes up other room and space that affects performance.

I hear what you are saying, in fact, in my first post on the subject I admitted that if I was doing a true backpack hunt I probably would ditch the stove and even the tent and just take a tarp. But I'm not sure you are listening to what I'm saying.

There are areas I hunt where I know elk are there consistently, but it's too far to day hike into efficiently.

Packing a solid tent with a woodstove takes minimal extra effort, and lets me hunt the area harder and for longer.

Nobody is going to give you extra points for being the "hardest" guy on the mountain. Therefore if I'm constantly doing a cost benefit analysis on every piece of gear. I'm glad I have stoves, That doesn't mean they always make it in my pack.

I would caution any members to take this as fact. Please do not take this advice if your not experienced in late season, high country endeavors. @dfanonymous is clearly highly experienced at this. I would advise anyone to ease into the risks involved with not having a heat source until you know you are confident in your ability to survive. There are no trophies for being tough and not having a safety net when you're dabbling into this kind of thing.

I hear what you are saying, in fact, in my first post on the subject I admitted that if I was doing a true backpack hunt I probably would ditch the stove and even the tent and just take a tarp. But I'm not sure you are listening to what I'm saying.

There are areas I hunt where I know elk are there consistently, but it's too far to day hike into efficiently.

Packing a solid tent with a woodstove takes minimal extra effort, and lets me hunt the area harder and for longer.

Nobody is going to give you extra points for being the "hardest" guy on the mountain. Therefore if I'm constantly doing a cost benefit analysis on every piece of gear. I'm glad I have stoves, That doesn't mean they always make it in my pack.
I'm listening. I was tracking until you said I didn't do a lot of backpack hunting.

That type of backpack hunting is not for everyone. It's why I do a lot of solo hunts usually.
I let this whole thing go for the OP months ago. Southpa quoted me with a "technically" response, and that's what brought this back. I don't mean that as a quip. Just saying. I don't mind the conversation.

For sure, it's not a for everyone thing. A lot on the forum seem to old to do this, being frank.

I wouldn't want to go that hard or that far for elk. It would be a ****** packout and 30 miles of walking if doing a solo pack out. Like 5 miles.
Snow means it takes longer to travel.

I get it.

I don't apologize.
Thread has been done for awhile. This is a hunting forum. We are on topic about stoves for tents.

This is information that is useful to take away from, one way or another.

I'm listening. I was tracking until you said I didn't do a lot of backpack hunting.

That type of backpack hunting is not for everyone. It's why I do a lot of solo hunts usually.
I let this whole thing go for the OP months ago. Southpa quoted me with a "technically" response, and that's what brought this back. I don't mean that as a quip. Just saying. I don't mind the conversation.

For sure, it's not a for everyone thing. A lot on the forum seem to old to do this, being frank.

I wouldn't want to go that hard or that far for elk. It would be a ****** packout and 30 miles of walking if doing a solo pack out. Like 5 miles.
Snow means it takes longer to travel.

I get it.
Wasn't trying to dig on you but I've experienced that attitude before from guys that were big backpackers but haven't hunted. I took a guy one year who was a big time backpacker but didn't have much experience hunting elk, or being in the high country of Montana in late Oct.

He scoffed at my pack weight a bit, as well as my clothing, and obviously the stove.

Like I said, after a few days he changed his tune.

A stove might not work for you, your hunting style, climate, terrain, and quarry. Given that, it may be more of a hindrance than it's worth given those variables, and that's totally cool.

But you seemed to have the attitude that anyone who choses to use one is either soft or doesn't know what they are doing, and I can assure you that couldn't be further from the truth.

Wasn't trying to dig on you but I've experienced that attitude before from guys that were big backpackers but haven't hunted. I took a guy one year who was a big time backpacker but didn't have much experience hunting elk, or being in the high country of Montana in late Oct.

He scoffed at my pack weight a bit, as well as my clothing, and obviously the stove.

Like I said, after a few days he changed his tune.

A stove might not work for you, your hunting style, climate, terrain, and quarry. Given that, it may be more of a hindrance than it's worth given those variables, and that's totally cool.

But you seemed to have the attitude that anyone who choses to use one is either soft or doesn't know what they are doing, and I can assure you that couldn't be further from the truth.
The what they are doing, I don't think they do.
I mean, even that one backpacker is a sample size of one. If that person successfully through hiked the PCT, I don't think they would have as much of a problem. Even just backpack through hiking, you either start early when there's snow in the sierras, and you probably will end late before Canada when snow falls depending on the year…

You can just do day hikes on your local flat scenic trail and fancy yourself a backpacker I suppose.

Unlike that one dude, I've seen 100s of guy backpack in for hunting have issues. Typically navigation, a few times sick from water sources.

A handful of times guys having issues on the packout. Leaving gear and offering us to take meat so they didn't have to come back. I still consider that a backpacking issue. It should be factored in. Not just in gear but in capability.

I mean guys have died doing mountain hunting in the winter and hikers die every year…people DON'T know what they are doing. A lot.

The being soft really is debatable too, but irrelavent. That wasn't my point.

Recent Posts