1 person+gear 4 season tent/shelter deciding

If you don't get fire it's by your own choice. Nobody is getting awards for hiking up to 11k feet in 2 feet of snow and sleeping in the cold with no heat source. If you're pack system isn't adequate to pack a ti stove system I'd look into a new one as I really dont see how that's an issue. Whether admitted or not the extra weight you'll pack in layers and heavier down bags to make it in negative temps will easily add up to the minimal weight of the Ti.
Hey, you quoted me. It's not about awards. I'm having a conversation about a common practice both in general, and from own experience. The forum members here will do whatever they want regardless if it's a good idea or not.
They always do.

My pack systems are fine. I'm telling you, for 5 days, food takes up a LOT of space. Cook pot takes up space. Sleeping bag, with proper rating, takes up space. Sleeping pad, takes up space.
Something to hold water takes up space. Ice axe. Snow shoes. Layers, socks, Headlamp. Tent. GPS, maps, hunting optics, and carabiners w/ crampons. That's a 7200 pack it's fitting in, and that is suuupper minimum. No ropes, no tie offs, no snow anchors or screws. No helmets. Shovels, no runners, no avalanche transponders etc.
Average mountaineering pack is 65ish liters. You want to add weight too? Not just size? The idea is to backpack, or mountaineer in, yeah?

It's not about an award. It's about getting the job done did.

With all due respect l, this is a hunting forum. Forgive me for being ignorant towards the mountaineering gear not necessary for a November hunting excursion. OP In a hunting scenario, I highly doubt you'll regret not having an ultralight Ti stove for a late season hunt. If you're not packing snow anchors, helmets, shovels, screws, tie offs, carabiners, ice axesand ropes for your hunting trip you should have plenty of weight savings and room for an ultralight ti stove.

Your points are understood @dfanonymous. Im just speaking from my experience related to late season hunting.

Your points are understood @dfanonymous. Im just speaking from my experience related to late season hunting.
Same. I think the disconnect is where ever you're use to late season hunting, doesn't have type of mountain altitude, or your hunting areas with easier access.

I've hunted high country's Wyoming, Colorado, the Sierras and all over the west really wherever I can get a tag. Even San G in California which can be a surprisingly dangerous mountain. Some of the little trails when snow pack has layers of ice, and just a small slide on that ice sends you down thousands of ft into canyons impossible to get out of or avalanches. All for deer hunt with low success odds on public land, for at the time an over the counter hunt, during a earlyish storm.

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpeg
    IMG_2242.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 21
Hey, you quoted me. It's not about awards. I'm having a conversation about a common practice both in general, and from own experience. The forum members here will do whatever they want regardless if it's a good idea or not.
They always do.

My pack systems are fine. I'm telling you, for 5 days, food takes up a LOT of space. Cook pot takes up space. Sleeping bag, with proper rating, takes up space. Sleeping pad, takes up space.
Something to hold water takes up space. Ice axe. Snow shoes. Layers, socks, Headlamp. Tent. GPS, maps, hunting optics, and carabiners w/ crampons. That's a 7200 pack it's fitting in, and that is suuupper minimum. No ropes, no tie offs, no snow anchors or screws. No helmets. Shovels, no runners, no avalanche transponders etc.
Average mountaineering pack is 65ish liters. You want to add weight too? Not just size? The idea is to backpack, or mountaineer in, yeah?

It's not about an award. It's about getting the job done did.
So, when you have four guys total the load can be shared between the group. Watch the Gritty vids on YouTube. Those guys have it figured out and truck all over gnarly country doing what the OP is looking to do with minimal tent structures that have stove jacks and micro stoves. Plus, they pack light weight kyaks to navigate rivers to get to their quarry. They're all about telling you what they use as I think they're all invested in those companies in some way. Their vids are entertaining as I dig their approach to hunting.

So, when you have four guys total the load can be shared between the group. Watch the Gritty vids on YouTube. Those guys have it figured out and truck all over gnarly country doing what the OP is looking to do with minimal tent structures that have stove jacks and micro stoves. Plus, they pack light weight kyaks to navigate rivers to get to their quarry. They're all about telling you what they use as I think they're all invested in those companies in some way. Their vids are entertaining as I dig their approach to hunting.
Yes, you can spread load gear.

Just the nature with hunting TV/youtube channels, with the exception of many some of the self filmed stuff. Especially pushing gear. I already have down what works for me and when updating gear, adapt accordingly.

However; unlike gritty, I don't have a camera crew nor am I trying to make a production. Most guys don't like going where I go, or doing what I do to get into some country. Let alone a late season tag in high mountain, high snow. It's not easy hunting.

I, and I'm sure others, don't always have 4 guys. I surely never have more than two with the same tag. Especially non resident. I think the tent stove is a lot more niche than some of you think. At least in my opinion, as a guy who does this quite a bit.

Last edited:
Yes, you can spread load gear.

Just the nature with hunting TV/youtube channels, with the exception of many some of the self filmed stuff. Especially pushing gear. I already have down what works for me and when updating gear, adapt accordingly.

However; unlike gritty, I don't have a camera crew nor am I trying to make a production. Most guys don't like going where I go, or doing what I do to get into some country. Let alone a late season tag in high mountain, high snow. It's not easy hunting.

I don't always have 4 guys. I surely never have more than two with the same tag.
Sigh…:rolleyes:

My last 3 day trip up into single digits with my buddy, our packs were 38 pounds trail weight. That's at a light 2900 calories a day but only being 3 days it was doable. We did spilt a jetboil and the shelter/stove. If I was solo my trail weight would have been a whopping 41 pounds. We train enough trough the year that a ti stove will not be hindering.

I'll chime in to the stove thing.

I mostly hunt with tipis and usually a stove.

If you are spiking into an area a few miles I find them to be incredibly nice and well worth the weight. I had a big backpacker buddy go with me one year and he similarly scoffed at the idea. By day 3 he was wondering how much they cost. They don't replace or make up for a proper sleep system… They aren't going to stay hot longer than 45min to an hr. Breaking up the weight with a partner can make them very reasonable to throw in a pack.

Now if you are doing a true solo backpack hunt where you are changing camp every day and hunting off your pack? I'd have a hard time justifying the weight. That's a different and very tough kind of hunting. With a partner it's still doable though.

Bottom like they are really good tools to have in the tool box. There is a reason fire is usually #1 priority in a survival scenario, often not even for warmth but for the psychological aspect. Put that fire inside of a shelter and that benefit is even stronger. There is something primal about it, and it certainly recharged your batteries. You sleep better, wake up more refreshed, and get out of the bag ready to hit the mountain.

Bottom line backpacking is not hunting. If I was just trying to put miles on a trail there is no way I'd carry a wood stove. I just wouldn't need the psychological aspect… I know what the trail ahead is, where it goes and how long it is.

Backcountry hunting, when I don't know what tomorrow will bring, how steep of a mountain I have to climb or what kind of terrain I have to get through, or when the "real work" will really begin, or even if I will, that wood stove goes a loooong way toward keeping me on the mountain.

There will not be a single late season hunt solo or not that I will not be packing a Ti stove. 100% worth it in our camp.

The people who are usually scoffing at extra weight for a certain things are the ones who are not super weight conscious. Not pointing fingers just generalizing.

Bottom line, ounces equal pounds and that's why everything on my back is weight conscious. Everything as light as possible. If it's NOT going to be used more than 3-4 times on the trip it doesn't go in the pack (excluding must haves like kill kit or survival stuff).

There will not be a single late season hunt solo or not that I will not be packing a Ti stove. 100% worth it in our camp.

The people who are usually scoffing at extra weight for a certain things are the ones who are not super weight conscious. Not pointing fingers just generalizing.

Bottom line, ounces equal pounds and that's why everything on my back is weight conscious. Everything as light as possible. If it's NOT going to be used more than 3-4 times on the trip it doesn't go in the pack (excluding must haves like kill kit or survival stuff).
Yeah I'd agree anyone that says hunters are bad backpackers hasn't done much backpack hunting.

They are just taking a look at pack weights and making assumptions about something they don't know much about. I've had "backpackers" absolutely fail on their first late Oct backcountry elk hunt.

Yeah I'd agree anyone that says hunters are bad backpackers hasn't done much backpack hunting.

They are just taking a look at pack weights and making assumptions about something they don't know much about. I've had "backpackers" absolutely fail on their first late Oct backcountry elk hunt.
Let's get one thing straight, backpacking is not backpack hunting!!!! My hats off to backpackers, I know many who are savages. They do hundreds of miles on trail with minimal gear. Like one extra light jacket and a pocket full of cliff bars. (This is no joke). They are minimalist in the fine term. But covering 30 miles a day on a trail is nothing like 15 miles off trail.

I'm not sure what other type of backpack hunting there is…
The same posted it's recognized that backpacking hunting is a "hard and difficult hunt." It's what I'm saying.

No one is saying backpacking is hunting. Though it's certainly a component, especially here out west for a lot of us who are successful. How heavy of a
component varies, but for this we are talking about backpacking.

I can only talk from my experience, and that's how I hunt. It's how a lot of people hunt. For me, up to a week. I see, and run into others out there too, so it's not like I'm the only one.

I've do a metric **** ton of backpack hunting. I only do backpack hunting.

That's why I'm saying what I'm saying. Stove is not going to be working for me. Or anyone else I know that hunts in similar terrain and distance.

There is nothing wrong with being weight conscience to be able to perform better in longer treks at far ranges in a bivy styled hunting…

People in good shape, spend a lot of money to save weight to be able to go further and traverse harder things with more ease all the time. It's not or shouldn't be a revelation.

A stove is not making you "survive." It's simply a convenience.
It's why hunters are bad backpackers. You don't understand the difference, or you think that the convenience is a priority. For you, it might be. That's cool. It's not at all a requirement.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.png
    IMG_2831.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well i think we can all agree to disagree. It's apparent that fire has been a source of survival for all of mankind. With the evolution of a stove and shelter, mankind has found a way to harness that creation into more suitable means of survival.

We understand you don't carry a stove but fire as a source of warmth and survival is not something you will ever will out of existence in the modern world. It is and always will be the only irreplaceable source of heat and survival. EVER.

With that we can get this thread back on course.

I'm not sure what other type of backpack hunting there is…
The same posted it's recognized that backpacking hunting is a "hard and difficult hunt." It's what I'm saying.

No one is saying backpacking is hunting. Though it's certainly a component, especially here out west for a lot of us who are successful. How heavy of a
component varies, but for this we are talking about backpacking.

I can only talk from my experience, and that's how I hunt. It's how a lot of people hunt. For me, up to a week. I see, and run into others out there too, so it's not like I'm the only one.

I've don't a metric **** ton of backpack hunting. I only do backpack hunting.

That's why I'm saying what I'm saying. Stove is now working for me. Or anyone else I know that hunts in similar terrain and distance.

There is nothing wrong with being weight conscience to be able to perform better in longer treks at far ranges in a bivy styled hunting…

A stove is not making you "survive." It's simply a convenience. It's why hunters are bad backpackers. You don't understand the difference.
Of course it's not making you survive. But it can help you stick it out a little longer in sh$tty weather and actually kill something you might have otherwise not killed.

I could probably survive under a bushcraft/lean to shelter for the night by throwing on all my puffy layers, making a sleep pad with pine branches and making a big fire.

But I'd sleep like sh$t, would hunt like sh$t and probably be back at the truck way sooner than I otherwise would've been.

Everything is a trade off. We had unseasonably warm weather this year and for the first 3 days I regretted packing the wood stove. It just wasn't really necessary. But I've also had hunts where I thanked my lucky stars I threw it in my pack.

Bottom line, dismissing a piece of gear outright you have never used isn't wise.