4 season tent

trueblue

I would like some feedback on a good 4 season tent. Something I can pack in as a spike camp. I have a Northface Slumberjack, but it didn't work to well on a bowhunt years ago in a icestorm/snowstorm. Any recommendations ?

I've got a Mountain Hardware 4 season. Top notch stuff!!
Many good brands out there, but they don't give them 4 season tents away:D

I would like some feedback on a good 4 season tent. Something I can pack in as a spike camp. I have a Northface Slumberjack, but it didn't work to well on a bowhunt years ago in a icestorm/snowstorm. Any recommendations ?

Man! you're not kidding!!!

I have used a Walrus 4 season back pack tent for years and have spent many nights out during storms and it has never failed even with as much as a 10" snow load. I have no idea whether they are still manufactured under that name or not but if so they are worth a look. Seems like I paid abort $350 and ordered it through Campmor I think around 1992.

I have been looking at the Bivler website, and also the Kifaru site. Anyone on here using either one of these brands, or even leads on NorthFace.

I have been looking at the Bivler website, and also the Kifaru site. Anyone on here using either one of these brands, or even leads on NorthFace.
-------------------------------------------------------

Kifaru stuff is great. The feature of having a stove in your tent is a tremendous asset in cold or wet weather.

Check out:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/tents-backpacking-26738/

I've got a Bibler and they are considered by many the top mountaineering brand. I bought it a few years ago before Black Diamond bought Bibler. Be hard to go wrong with them. Otherwise there's Hilleberg, Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardware, etc... If you're looking for a hardcore tent, it's going to cost you more and it'll be a bit heavier to handle storm force winds. If you want a strong tent, look at the brands above for their 4-season tents. Some manufacturers have a step beyond 4 season that might be called expedition strength. Just get on the net and start diggin'! :)

Good luck.

I have a Marmot Swallow and really like it but haven't gone hunting with it.
Swallow 2P Details | marmot.com

Very well made and at night it's nice that all the poles are the same length ;-)
It's also handy to have an REI store a half mine from my house.

Mike

Those Swallow's look really funny until you use that big side door and realize how adaptable that tent is to various conditions. I haven't been in every tent out there, but I've spent plenty of nights (just two nights ago actually) in that tent and sure do like it.

Another AIG fan... Alright!

I use the back door to get in and out now and use the main door vestibule for storage, especially in winter. As I get older it's easier to get out the shorter way, not through a vestibule. When the weathers nice the main 'flap' is up, held buy some sticks, if I don't have some old al arrows along. All the windows help when it's warm too. ;-)

Mike

I have several tents, including a Kifaru 8 man plus large stove and an Integral Designs MKI-XL plus an ID Mega Sola. However, my favourite tents and I have had Bibler, NF, Early Winters and others, is the Hilleberg line.

I have a Saivo and a Soulo and would LOVE a fully rigged Atlas with a propane heater. These are so superior to anything else I have used or seen that they are the only tents I will buy now.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.