4 season tent

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by trueblue, Jun 9, 2008.

1. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

I would like some feedback on a good 4 season tent. Something I can pack in as a spike camp. I have a Northface Slumberjack, but it didn't work to well on a bowhunt years ago in a icestorm/snowstorm. Any recommendations ?

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Good question.
    Anybody?

3. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I've got a Mountain Hardware 4 season. Top notch stuff!!
    Many good brands out there, but they don't give them 4 season tents away:D

4. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Man! you're not kidding!!!

5. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

I have used a Walrus 4 season back pack tent for years and have spent many nights out during storms and it has never failed even with as much as a 10” snow load. I have no idea whether they are still manufactured under that name or not but if so they are worth a look. Seems like I paid abort $350 and ordered it through Campmor I think around 1992.

6. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the Bivler website, and also the Kifaru site. Anyone on here using either one of these brands, or even leads on NorthFace.

7. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

8. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

-------------------------------------------------------

Kifaru stuff is great. The feature of having a stove in your tent is a tremendous asset in cold or wet weather.

Check out:
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f61/tents-backpacking-26738/

I've got a Bibler and they are considered by many the top mountaineering brand. I bought it a few years ago before Black Diamond bought Bibler. Be hard to go wrong with them. Otherwise there's Hilleberg, Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardware, etc... If you're looking for a hardcore tent, it's going to cost you more and it'll be a bit heavier to handle storm force winds. If you want a strong tent, look at the brands above for their 4-season tents. Some manufacturers have a step beyond 4 season that might be called expedition strength. Just get on the net and start diggin'! :)

Good luck.

9. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

I have a Marmot Swallow and really like it but haven't gone hunting with it.
    Swallow 2P Details | marmot.com

Very well made and at night it's nice that all the poles are the same length ;-)
    It's also handy to have an REI store a half mine from my house.

Mike

10. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Those Swallow's look really funny until you use that big side door and realize how adaptable that tent is to various conditions. I haven't been in every tent out there, but I've spent plenty of nights (just two nights ago actually) in that tent and sure do like it.

Another AIG fan... Alright!

11. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

I use the back door to get in and out now and use the main door vestibule for storage, especially in winter. As I get older it's easier to get out the shorter way, not through a vestibule. When the weathers nice the main 'flap' is up, held buy some sticks, if I don't have some old al arrows along. All the windows help when it's warm too. ;-)

Mike

12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Delete

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  13. 300WSMMAD

300WSMMAD Well-Known Member

If you can get one,these are the dogs bollocks!
    Macpac

Regards 300WSMMAD

14. Dewey

Dewey Member

I have several tents, including a Kifaru 8 man plus large stove and an Integral Designs MKI-XL plus an ID Mega Sola. However, my favourite tents and I have had Bibler, NF, Early Winters and others, is the Hilleberg line.

I have a Saivo and a Soulo and would LOVE a fully rigged Atlas with a propane heater. These are so superior to anything else I have used or seen that they are the only tents I will buy now.