Backcountry shelter

Sorry for highjacking, but I figured id ask this here instead of starting a similar thread.

What are you guys thoughts on the Zpacks hexamid tent? It looks to be extremely lightweight and waterproof, but how well does it hold up in the wind? are there any lighter/better options out there?

If I'm alone I use my 2-man Sierra Designs Lightening tent. With another person I like the Marmot Limelight 3P. It has two doors and two vestibules so each guy has plenty of space under their own vestibule for gear, rifle/bow and boots. With 3 people there is plenty to share the load and we use my Cabela's Expedition 4-person 4-season tent.

I've been using an Easton Kilo 1 person this summer on backpacking trips and plan to use it for hunting this year. So far i mostly like it. Its nice and light and gives me enough room. But when you have a tent that weighs less than 2 lbs there are always trade offs. If its a rainy day a small tent sucks so carry a tarp if rain is forecasted.

I use a Hilleberg Nallo 3 for all my sheep and goat hunts all the way through october. its proven to be bomb prove for me so far, although tunnel tents in the end won't be as strong as a dome/freestanding style.

Hmmm... Pretty generic question. I have around 10 different "shelters" for different applications. First question; snakes?

Re: Backcountry shelter-> Tarptent Moment DW

I use the Moment DW (Double Wall) solo tent made in the USA in Nevada City, CA by Tarptent. It is made of lightweight but strong silnylon fabric. It has two doors with vestibules. You can cook with a butane stove (only) in the larger "front door" vestibule if necessary in bad weather. Your pack will fit in the front vestibule to one side of the zippered door.

This is my 4 season tent and I use the optional ripstop + netting top inner instead of the all netting inner. The tent is well ventilated but can be "buttoned up" very well against spindrift snow.

If I expect a snow load I bring the optional crossing pole.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've shortened my X-ing pole and ran it inside the fly for better fly support.
All I added was double-sided Velcro cable wraps sewn inside the fly at the two reinforcement patches for the exterior X-ing pole attachment. (Be SURE to seam seal your stitching and all sewn seams with a tube of "SIL NET" silicone seam sealer. Do not use seam sealer made for urethane coated tents.)
Then I removed the unneeded exterior buckled straps. Very easy conversion. Even the owner of Tarptent liked my idea.

The Moment DW's shape is highly wind resistant. It's called the "Moment" because it can be set up in about a minute or less.

I have found MSR's aluminum "Ground Hog" stakes the best anywhere foe light weight, holding ability and resistance to bending when pounded with a rock.

Yer welcome Calhunter.

The TT Moment DW weighs 2 lbs 4 oz. with the "solid" ripstop interior. Add another 8 oz. + or - , for the X-ing pole.

Another lightweight option is the Six Moon Design Skyscape but to me the Moment gives better shelter in storms, especially at the entrances. If you want a really lightweight tent the SMD Skyscape comes in Cuben fabric but it is too spendy for my tastes. I'd rather put the money in my guns and optics.

I pack a Tarp shelter similar to a TarpTent made by Outdoor Research. It's floor less and packs down to the size of about a Nalgene bottle. I use my shooting sticks as support and tie the foot end off to a tree. My 2 kids can fit in it but it's not a 2 man for guys my size.

Worked great this weekend though I could have just as easily slept out under the stars with this heat.

I use several different types. Honestly, a tarp works just as well as most of them with almost no weight. If I'm going in the winter, I take a bigger tent.qu

I use a Bearpaw Wilderness Luna 5 with a Tigoat wood stove. 5 lbs for tent and stove, easy for two guys to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts