Ya’at eeh from New Mexico

JemezDave

25329498-1806-422D-8123-A342AC8353D0.jpeg
I'm looking to greatly extend my effective range on game over what my current .270 can. I've found good info on here.
Here's my new hunting rig in .300WM:

Welcome to your new addiction.

Is that a CA?

I'm looking to build a carbon hunting rifle in a 30 cal myself. I've looked at many different rounds on paper and keep coming back to the tried and true WM.

Yes it is Slick. Has not been shot yet, but I have started my load development as follows: 150gr Hornady SP, 175gr Sierra Match HP, 180gr Sierra GK, and Hornady 212gr ELD-X. I am intending to use this for deer, elk, and Oryx-that is why I am trying such varying loads. Now all I have to do is go out and shoot. I will work out the actual BC's and firing solutions once I find good groups at 100yds. Then I will stretch them out and see how they perform at further distances. I'm hoping the 212 works well. It has a higher BC than the 220 though not by much. I do want to try the mono's and Swift A-frame also, but it takes time.

Welcome to your new addiction.

Is that a CA?

I'm looking to build a carbon hunting rifle in a 30 cal myself. I've looked at many different rounds on paper and keep coming back to the tried and true WM.
Slick, I was in the same boat, but wanted economy, capability, and the WM recoil is more manageable at least in my mind over the other offerings. I'm really not willing to walk from here to across the street for the difference between the WM, and say the UM for example. A few clicks difference so what. Tried and true, anyway, it's what I finally went with. I only want to shoot 1k yards or less anyways, if I have to. Like my .270, I'm a little older and longer in the tooth, so I can't hike all over the country like I used to at 57 years of age due to a marginal knee. But I still want to put meat on the table-ha! I have no doubt this combo will give me the range I need

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.