Wyoming or Bust

Nimrodmar10

Less than 3 weeks until I fire up the Chevy Avelanche and head toward Casper Wyoming. Hunting area 25 October 1-3 with SNS Outfitters but I thought I'd get there a few days early and look around some. Had it planned since the spring but I'm just now starting to get excited. Starting to get gear together, shooting the rifles, buying new gear that I need but don't have, etc. I think the anticipation is a big part of the hunt.

I've got the Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Norma shooting sub-1/2 MOA groups out to 1000 yards. Taking a couple of extra long range guns as backups as well as some varmint calibers for coyotes and prairie dogs. That's why I have to drive instead of fly. They probably woundn't let me on the plane with a dozen guns and a thousand rounds of ammo.

I drew one buck antelope tag and bought 2 doe tags so I should be able to do a little long range shooting while I'm there. I'm not looking for a record book buck, just a good representitive head in the 14" area. Hoping to put him on the wall with the whitetails and muleys.

If any of you live in the Casper area and want to get together for a cup of coffee or glass of sweet ice tea, give me a shout. We can swap lies and put faces on some of the guys here on the forum.

Wish me luck.
Mar10

Just remember the crosswind. It almost cost me a goat a few weeks ago when he ran and stopped on me. I forgot to compensate in the heat of the moment. Got him in the neck instead of behind the shoulder. Had he been facing the other direction, it would have been guts.

Learn from my mistake and know the drift in addition to the drop.

Good luck, it's a fun hunt.

Antelope hunting is as much fun as a guy can have. Wyoming is a great corner of the world to do it in. SNS is a great outfit to go with. I turned my rifle over to the airlines once, and couldn't stand the stress, I only drive anymore also. Have a great trip.

Good luck on hunt. Hope your bringing your own sweet tea, I couldn't find any when I was in Wyoming last year!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.