WY unit 62?

kstitz

I was lucky enough to draw this tag and am seeking info on the unit. I will be hunting with rifle and will likely hunt off of horse back. I have been studying Google earth and it looks like some really good elk country. Any info would be appreciated.

I've never hunted in 62, but I did in 63 just to the south on the other side of the Wood River in 2012, 13 & 14. I have to say I've never seen so many grizzlies, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're all still there. One thing I know about area 62 is there are a handful of roads that head in there, and roads = easy access = lots of hunters.

There were a lot of hunters on horseback in area 63 and being we didn't have any horses we couldn't get back as far as they did. So we hunted on top the ridges between trail-heads and such. There where lots of elk on those ridges, including the biggest bull I've ever seen.

Our game plan was to hunt closer to the roads, but up high where no one else was hunting. If there were elk in the area they would be all pushed up high on the ridges...in theory. The same should apply in area 62, and being you can take some of the roads deep into the mountains it only makes sense to me.

Lots of big bulls are taken out of 62. My advise is don't rule out places that are high and close to some of the roads, you may just find a little sanctuary up there that everyone else drives past.

Hunted there twice in the last two years and drew again this year. We get cow tags and go the day after Thanksgiving so the bears have been snoozing and with little weather the elk are low and out of the mountains. I hunt with 2 older guys so I haven't had the pleasure of hiking all the way to the top.
Saw herds last year pushing 600 head on the Pitchfork and took one out of a herd of 150 just North of Sunshine or West of Wood River Rd.

Don't forget you need a trespass permit of some sort to be on the Pitchfork. I can't remember the exact terminology. I just know we aint going there unless we have the paperwork.

The rabbit hunting is a total blast...don't miss out on that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.