• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB 375/408 Barrel Blank

GRobertC

Hello;

Looking for a Lilja, Krieger, or Bartlein 375 or 408 barrel blank.

Thanks

Well, RWS had a 375 barrel. Unfortunately the barrel is a Benchmark and David Viers, who I'm going to have install the barrel on my action, says it's a no go. He says the Benchmark bore diameters in their 375 and 408 barrels are too big. I'm still looking.

I am getting ready to start a Cheytac build as well - can you advise as to what barrel specs David recommends. Thanks for any info you can share. Mike D

I am getting ready to start a Cheytac build as well - can you advise as to what barrel specs David recommends. Thanks for any info you can share. Mike D

David told me "Only barrels with a .366 grove dia, 375 bore". He told me the barrel should be 10 twist and he prefers stainless by either Lilja, Kreiger, or Bartlein. His prefered barrel is the Bartlein gain twist barrel, but he said that nothing can be had from Bartlein at the present. They told him a year and half before they could get around to making and 375 blanks.

I would like to caution that I am a total newbie to this type of shooting and David went through a bunch of info with me regarding the barrel bore and groove specs in relation to the type of projectile being used. I would just sound like I had no clue what I was talking about if I tried to remember and relay that info here, so I would recommend talking with David about that to make sure you plan to use projectiles that mate well with the barrel spec he prefers.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I don't think that I really understand this area very well either (i.e., lost river bore/groove specs vs conventional bore/groove specs vs other) - still very helpful- been meaning to contact him and ask for recommendation anyway- thank you!

Yes, I don't think that I really understand this area very well either (i.e., lost river bore/groove specs vs conventional bore/groove specs vs other) - still very helpful- been meaning to contact him and ask for recommendation anyway- thank you!

You are very welcome. David told me to stay away from Lost River Bore, speced barrels.

From David

"Stay away from lost river bores, that was developed by lawton machine and cheytac to shoot the hard lathe turned bullets with no driving bands. They are very unpredictable for accuracy. Most of the current lathe turned bullets have driving bands therefor you don't need a over sized bore. Jacketed bullets don't like the oversized bores either. The Lilja 10 twist barrel is very good, about 11 weeks to get one. Any barrel with a size over .366 will be difficult to get to shoot accurately or consistent. I wont guaranty any barrel of this type.
After many years of testing all the barrels and twist rates, i have discovered what works and what don't."

I sure hope he doesn't mind me posting this stuff.

I have 2 375 10tw 5R's in stock right now, one finishes 30" and one will finish 32" both fluted and out 1.450 stock
Chris

Robert, thank you and David for the info - very helpful.

Chris - sending you a PM on the barrels - thanks for chiming in

GRobert, don't know if you have called Lilja directly, but they have several 1.450 and 1.350 .375 10t blanks in stock. I had previously checked their website and didn't see any. 375 blanks listed in the "in-stock barrel" area, but decided to give them a call anyway and ask a question about a particular contour and how many weeks/months it might take to have one made -- ended up getting sent to Dan Lilja's extension and left a semi-intelligent message explaining my question and kind of chalked the whole thing up to the normal "who knows maybe I'll get a call back some day from somebody there, maybe not" scenario. Anyway, happy to relate that I was more than just a little surprised to get a call back less than an hour later from Dan Lilja himself.... Dan took an inordinate amount of time to search their inventory list for every possible match for my desired size, twist and taper combination and ended up coming up with enough options that i couldn't make up my mind on the spot. Long story short - the folks at Lilja are top notch! Thanks again Dan! Now if I could just make up my mind and pull the trigger one or two of those purdy barrels! Mike D

Recent Posts