Wish it'd rain,

Wish you could take some of ours,has poured several times over the last 10 days and forecasts for 4 days this next week!Going to try to hit a range Friday if it's not snowed under(4500' elevation).

84 deg yesterday, 82 today. Haven't had measurable rain here since late Sept. Makes for "high fire danger". A 20-25mph wind will spread a grass fire fast!
I'm very confused on why you can't shoot at least out to 2-300 yards. The wind if it has some value is a big plus-size and it diminishes if no value. Maybe not ideal and I could get things close so a couple more sessions will finalize them.

I test fire to measure and give the fired brass a good "look see" after I cut the chamber and head space, not firing for accuracy or practice. The barreled actions aren't even stocked, yet. It takes little to spark a grass fire when it's so dry. Have "burn bans" in the counties just north and to the east. Our private range is pasture, well it's pasture when it's 'green'. Even the muffler or catalytic convertor might be enough to start a fire. I spotted several places along the interstate last Wed. that had burned, and they mow the road sides. Ya', get that prairie grass burnin', with a 20+mph wind, and you can burn off a hundred acres in no time, and it doesn't spare buildings that might get in the way, either. And the air is as dry as the grass. Grass fire an the prairie is not to be taken lightly!

I test fire to measure and give the fired brass a good "look see" after I cut the chamber and head space, not firing for accuracy or practice. The barreled actions aren't even stocked, yet. It takes little to spark a grass fire when it's so dry. Have "burn bans" in the counties just north and to the east. Our private range is pasture, well it's pasture when it's 'green'. Even the muffler or catalytic convertor might be enough to start a fire. I spotted several places along the interstate last Wed. that had burned, and they mow the road sides. Ya', get that prairie grass burnin', with a 20+mph wind, and you can burn off a hundred acres in no time, and it doesn't spare buildings that might get in the way, either. And the air is as dry as the grass. Grass fire an the prairie is not to be taken lightly!
Thanks this helps me understand what caused your first post.

Convenance; no open 'camp fires' (bar-b-que grill is OK), no burning of trash, no discharging of firearms. Besides that, not enough room inside the shop to add one. Ya' gotta' get along with your neighbors, even if there is a bit of distance between.
I have shot into firewood rounds often inside the shop. Always shoot length wise and like them about 10" or more and all mine are 16-18" long. Fir pine apple cherry what ever I grab. Multiple rounds at times and never had one exit or split a round. They are a bad expansion test media but kinda cool when I split them to burn. Minimal penetration even from big mags and no I don't use a 458win but a 300Rum. If your nervous just start with a pistol and a small rifle.