Wing Shooting with bifocals

Coloradomuley

Hi everyone my two sons were both born with cataracts and have had surgery to remove them and lens implants. My oldest is 8 years old and is about ready to start trying to wing shoot and trap. So with an open sight 22 the poor boy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. You out an optic on it and he is an awesome shot and killed his first Muley this year. I know a lot of older guys struggle with the bifocals as they grow older. What would some of you recommend to help teach a new shooter with bifocals? should I focus more on him shooting instinctive? His hand eye coordination is really remarkable for what his eyes have been through and he is an awesome baseball player probably the best on his team? I hanks for any advice I appreciate the help and insight.

So, if I understand correctly, his distance vision is fine?

I had cataracts removed from both eyes in 2020 and had my distance vision corrected. I cannot use open sites on a rifle. Get him a qualified coach, usually someone who is great with women, because they have a different mindset than us. They will teach him how to focus on nothing but the bird, make sure his form is correct, identify his dominant eye, or in some cases with cataract correction, neutral dominant, and teach him how to lead the bird.

Once his mechanics are sound, he'll never need a bead or sight for wingshooting.

Never corelate rifle/handgun with shotguns, two different sight pictures.

Thank you kind of what my thoughts were as well. I wouldn't not consider myself a good shotgun shooter rifles have always been my thing. I do ok and kill my share of waterfowl but not very qualified to coach him and get a good foundation.

it's gonna be a challenge when he's that young but put some work into getting a gun to fit well. Mainly drop and length of pull so he shoulders it the same every time. A white or fiber optic bead will help him reference the front of the barrel easily even if he can't focus on it clearly with his glasses. He'll be able to tell when he can only see the bead and not the barrel that he's got his gun where he wants it. After that just feed him lots of ammo and clays! Great work on starting him early.

He will be perfectly fine shooting a shotgun. Give/Get him some good fundamental instructions on pointing a shotgun and as said above he will not need to worry about the stinking "bead or sights" on a shotgun. I shoot some trap fairly regular with some great shooters. They constantly shake their head and make fun of me with my hunting shotgun with the bead knocked off. No I don't break 100 in a row nor do most. We all stay in the 23-25 a round. My shotgun cost would not cover half the taxes on most guys "Trap guns".

I'd echo what's been said earlier. I shoot a lot of sporting clays. Get him a coach and a gun that fits. If he can learn good gun mounting skills the only thing left is to concentrate on the bird and practice.

I shot a lot of trap and skeet in the past. I like to give the trap guys a hard time with their figure 8 bead picture, side blinders and guns that only swing 30 degrees.

In all seriousness trap is a great place to start a kid, then skeet and finally sporting clays starting with the low gun position so he has to learn proper gun mount following the target line.