Wind meter

Well, it depends on your budget. I have a Kestrel 5700 but I dont use it for hunting per say. I take all the info that it would acquire when out shooting practice sessions and write the ballistic info down on an index card and tape the index card to my stock. I like to keep it simple. I also have Strelok Pro and Ballistic AE on my phone to use. The Kestrel will link with your iPhone and do the necessary calculations etc. I shoot regularly out to 500 yds so I am pretty in tune with what my ammo will do in any given conditions.

I just care about wind speed and angle. I really don't need the ballistics part. I have that already, but if I had to buy a 5700 to get a good meter I would.

Last edited:
What wind meter are you guys using for hunting? Kestrel? I need to get one and kinda up in the air on what to get

There are a couple of good ones……though all are only accurate where they're physically located! Somewhere between the instrument and a target at long distance……wind angle and velocity is anybodies guess!

They have a lot of merit, but the aforementioned remark about wind angle and velocity between you and target, is from experience! And it wasn't even a long shot!

Nothing is infallible! But, a good meter is a bit better than a SWAG! memtb

There are a couple of good ones……though all are only accurate where they're physically located! Somewhere between the instrument and a target at long distance……wind angle and velocity is anybodies guess!

They have a lot of merit, but the aforementioned remark about wind angle and velocity between you and target, is from experience! And it wasn't even a long shot!

Nothing is infallible! But, a good meter is a bit better than a SWAG! memtb
I get it and i know exactly what you are talking about. But knowing what the speed is where I'm at, is a start. You can't read mirage on a cloudy day so that's out. At the end of the day it's gonna be an educated guess on what it's doing out there at times. Wind speed and angle is what I'm concerned with at the moment.