wind meter for a beginner

fisherman983

looking for suggestions on what wind meter I should get. starting to practice at long range and I need another piece of equipment. i'll be limiting my shots to 1200yds and less and i'll be shooting very close to sea level. any suggestions will help thanks

Wind meter only or additionally weather readings? If both seriously consider the Kestrel 4000 specifically for the ability to obtain a Density Altitude reading. You will not need the NV and bluetooth option unless you think you may be going down that road later on.

Dwyer makes inexpensive ones that are very accurate. I've used 'em for decades.

Portable Handheld Meter | Portable Wind Meter | Dwyer Instruments

Note the wind speed you measure will be a bit lower than each foot above the meter is. Wind speed gradient varies with terrain types so you may need to add 10 to 20 percent to the speed depending on target range as the maximum height the bullet goes gets higher as range increases. But getting an accurate reading where you are sure helps for starting out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.