win 748 in the .220 swift

Alucard

Hello. Does anyone know the starting load and the maximum load in the .220 swift using win 748? I am using Speer 50 gr TNT hollow points, or 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings. Thanks for the info guys.

Alucard ,
From The Reloading Manual for Rifle and Handgun by Nick Harvey (2nd edition) .
Starting load for 50gn is 36gns of 748 for 3640 FPS , maximum of 40 gns for 3900 . For 55gn try 35gns for starting load and 38.5gn maximum for about 3830 FPS . Work up to maximum loads with caution as I couldn't get near these maximums in my Sako.
Personally found 748 faster than optimum for the Swift . Suggest you try H4350 , work up to 43 - 44 gns with a 50gn projectile . Try 760 if you want to use ball powder .
According to my manual VV-N160 (max 46gn) gives top velocities with those bullet weights if that's what you want .

Ok, thanks alot for the data Aussie.

I have never actually tried H4350 before in the Swift. I have used IMR 4831 quite a lot and recently switched over to Reloader 15. The only reason that I am trying new powders is that I have heard that Reloader 15 is quite errosive and too hot of a powder. Any truth in that. Just a rumor that I have heard.

What kind of velocity is that 44 gr of H4350 on a 50gr bullet? Thanks.

I have used w760 for years in my 220swift (over2000 rds.with Nos.55gr B.T.'s)41.5gr, back off a grain or two in your rifle and work up.in all the testing I have done H4350 DOES NOT WORK. iF w760 DOES NOT Work for you try H414 ,IMR4831 or N550 if you want a real barrel burner.
B

Thanks for the tips Brian. I was thinking of trying out that win 760. I hear that it is a great powder. I will have to pick some up next time I am at the gun store. Thanks again.

Alucard , AR 2209 or H4350 as it's sold in the USA worked very well in 2 different barrels in my Sako rifle giving 3900 FPS with 50 gn Nosler BT's from a 25 inch tube . The burning rate is very similar to 760 which also gave me good accuracy but a little less velocity . The original sporter barrel shot half inch 5 shot groups with both powders . IMR 4350 works well too but is more difficult to load and requires a drop tube to get enough powder in the case for maximum velocity .

Brian , the fact that you didn't find a load using H4350 that worked in your Swift is regrettable but hardly cause to shout that it "DOES NOT WORK" . Whilst it may not have occurred to you , there are quite a few other people frequenting this forum that have learned a little about reloading over the years too . Some of them will have had different experiences to your own but generally do not find it necessary to shout you down for having a different opinion .It's called diplomacy . Try it sometime .
BTW you may be aware that this site has a function that allows users to ignore posts from those members that they find rude or offensive . Congratulations on being the first one on my "ignore list".

I have to second the W760. I use it in my 220 with bullet weights from 40 to 64 grns. My best group with 64 Berger MEF is 1.3 inches at 330 yards.

Bushchook,
I find it regrettable you found my post offensive I have worked with several Swifts over the years(5) and for some reason none of them has liked 4350 of any sort H,IMR,AA .so I was just trying to save alucard some of the frustration of testing some powders that have not worked as well for me as others ,I was not trying to shout you down. sorry you have me on your "ignore list" you might not even see this but you are now the FIRST on my "a-hole"list mate.
G'Day B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.