Win 270 Sierra vs. Hornady

I am in the camp of changing bullets. Also not a fan of CCI primers, but I don't think they are causing 1.5" group woes at 100 yards.

The recommendation of Nosler NBT bullets for target and Nosler Accubonds for hunting is a good one. Changing bullets can help and you never know until you try. You can mess with stocks, powder loads, primers, etc until the cows come home and finally find that a different bullet fixed it.

Nosler makes good bullets that are forgiving and easy to get to shoot in most rifles. Get the NBTs and give them a try. It will eliminate one variable quickly. Also check the Nosler reloading guide for powder recommendations. If you can get the "most accurate" powder tested, it might be worth a try.

I agree that Sierra bullets can be very accurate too. I shoot them in a 25-06 that shoots a little less than 1" groups at 200 yards. In a sporter weight rifle. So it can be done.

What type of rest are you using?

It's not the rest.
It's not the bullet.
I have used these damned Rugers than you want to know.
Change the powder and run them at factory saami spec length. Don't f around with it...
CHANGE ONE VARIABLE AT A TIME OR YOU WILL GET LOST..... REAL QUICK LIKE

Many around here run the hornady 140btsp. It'll take anything you can regularly get a tag for in these parts without issue.

Well honestly, I'm starting to wonder if it is just the rifle. I've read horror stories of these rugers, but some had no trouble.

Mainly I use a bipod and rear bag. I picked up some hornady 140 s.p., so I may try them. I got them for $20 for not a terrible deal I thought.

Mainly I use a bipod and rear bag. I picked up some hornady 140 s.p., so I may try them. I got them for $20 for not a terrible deal I thought.

Is the rifle jumping left when shot from the bipod?

It can be difficult to shoot a sporter weight hunting rifle off of a bipod. Especially with a heavy trigger and using the popular single hand on rifle and other hand squeezing the rear bag. Maybe try using the more traditional method of placing the left hand on the rifle forearm and slightly pull down with the left hand. Continue to use the rear bag, but just fluff it up a bit and use a little cheek pressure to push the rifle butt into the rear bag until the crosshairs raise to the target. learn to get consistent with this cheek pressure. This will stop the rifle from jumping too much. It can tighten the groups and might get you down to 1" or better.

Um, I think up and to the left mostly. I try to hold it pretty decent to my shoulder to absorb most of the recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.