Wilson Dies... Arbor Press..

DoubleGobble00

I want to make my 6.5x47 more accurate and was wondering if I switched to wilson dies and an arbor press if that would help with accuracy? I am using a RCBS press now with Forstner dies.

Also, I want to know if neck turning would help. If so, what is a good neck turning tool to buy that I can use by hand.

As of right now I have only been sizing my brass and reloading. I have done very little prep work on the Lapua brass. It seems that I have a good many cartridges that load tighter and looser than others when I close the bolt. When they all close with the same pressure they shoot much better.

If you have any more idea to improve accuracy let me know. I got the accuracy bug bad!

DoubleG

"wondering if I switched to wilson dies and an arbor press if that would help with accuracy?"

Maybe. A little. But not automatically, nor by any massive amount.

Hand dies, neck turning, meticulous case selection and prep, etc., all contribute a little to the total result, none of it is magic that will decrease groups be a large percentage.

Your Foster dies do as well as can be done in a threaded press, and that's very well indeed. Few, if any, factory rifles will ever see any difference from the use of hand dies.

The Lee Collet Neck Sizer is likely the best neck die for factory rifles. Beats any bushing dies, IMHO.

I believe the excellant Foster HOT-100 neck turner is as effective as any of it's type and the price isn't outrageous.

A concentricity gage is perhaps the most helpful tool for confirming and correcting any bullet run-out problems you may have. Sinclair's is perhaps the best, over-all, and not too costly to justify itself.

Using the Hornady LnL case length and seating gages are helpful for setting your FL sizer and confirming your seating depth properly.

Get a copy of "Precision Shooting - Reloading Guide" for a LOT of good information. Sinclair and MidwayUSA both have had it in stock in the past, don't know about now.

DoubleG Buying the expensive hand dies and arbor press will only make your reloads more accurate if you fully understand how to set the dies up. How are you resizing your 6.5 brass Now are you full length, or neck sizing?. Also are you aware of how far back if any you are bumping the shoulder of your cases. I think that turning the necks on the lapua brass just for the sake of turning them, would not justify the cost or time to do so. Here is a link to a website that is full of benchrest shooters who compete in formal matches,. Some of these guys have ugly wives and they really hate there selfs but have the knowlege you seek, So when you post a question post it in the Factory Hybrid section and give them enough information from the start to help them help you. benchrestcentral.com

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help. I should have given more specifics on the rifle. The rifle is a Savage Varmint action, HS precision stock, and Shilen Bull Barrel 26" long chambered for 6.5x47 Lapua. I would not call it a custom gun cause I basicly just screwed all the parts together to build it. I use this gun for F-Class shooting and some hunting...

Right now I am using the full length sizing die and seating die from Forstner on a RCBS Rockchucker supreme press.

I have been shooting some good groups with the 6.5x47 but want to be more consistent. The seating depth has not be consistent and has been causing some differences in velocity. That is one of the main things I want to solve and then just thinking about other procedures I can chase to gain more accuracy.

The accuracy bug has bitten so I am just ready to give other things a try. When the bullets all seat consistently and have the same lenght they group quite well.

Below is a couple 3 shot groups at 440 yards
LRshoot014-2-1.jpg

Here is one of my best at 620 yards.
LRshoot008.jpg

Keep the tips coming.. I am learning alot and want to learn more..

DoubleG

I use Wilson Dies and Sinclair arbor press for all calibers 6mm and smaller. It doesn't get any better than that.

I see that you are using forstner full length sizing dies. I dont see a reason why you would have to run your brass thru a full length sizing die after each shot, what happens when you do that is the expander button in the case pulls the case neck and stretches it. This can cause a difference in case length, and it overworks your brass. This full length resizing may also be setting your case shoulder back farther than you need to be. If you was to buy a full length neck die you could select the proper neck tension with the bushings, and resize your cases without pulling an expander button thru the necks. I like to bump the shoulders on my cases back about .001 you can take the bolt apart on your savage and chamber the sized cases to get a feel for the proper headspace what you are trying to achieve is a slight pressure on the case shoulder. The bolt should not be hard to close but when you have just a slight tension your cases will be better alined in the chamber. RCBS makes a precision mic for each caliber that is helpful in measuring the shoulder bump, and it is very simple to use and accurate. The groups you posted are very Impressive and it looks like what you are doing is working pretty good but there is always more to learn, Check out that website you dont have to post there to learn the tricks of the trade there is a lot of good reading.

Thanks for the information.. I appreciate it. I will go do some more reading. This stuff is fun.

Btw, how often do you resize (full length) your brass if you were to use a Wilson neck die for neck tension?

DoubleG

I only have one set of wilson dies and so far I have reloaded the 22-250AI cases 3 times and have not needed to full length resize. I dont even own a full length die, I do have a body die just in case the cases start to get oversize but I don't know when I will need to use it. I am currently using 243 winchester cases in my 22-250AI that I formed using several steps thru 243 and 22-25 ai dies.

Thanks for the info... The more I read it seems some people prefer FL sizing ever time while others hardly ever FL size. Seems like the FL sizing sets the shoulder back a little. Then others hardly ever FL size there brass. I guess different strokes for different folks..

DoubleG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.