Will elevation affect pressure

Jpron

So I just got home from my elk hunt. I used a 300 wsm I put together myself. I'm shooting 195 gr badlands right at 2900 fps, using staball 6.5. It shoots great. Not to get to deep into hunt details but I ended up firing 4 times. I was getting some heavy bolt lift on the first three shots, The fourth shot, I couldn't open the bolt, thank god that was the kill shot. I had a few pieces of brass when doing load development I could not get sized properly for whatever reason. I tossed those out. All other brass chambered fine. Would going from 800 feet to 8700 feet change pressure? I totally understand the elevation drop, but never thought about pressure. I was shooting high at a long distance

Internal ballistics and external ballistics have only a small overlap due to climate.

The temperature is the more important parameter that affects velocity, the Density Altitude affects the trajectory.

In so many words, a load that was stable at a given temperature at sea level, doesn't tip over in terms of pressure by going to altitude. Going very cold or hot can be another story.

The temperature can have a strong effect on some powders. Most powders will slow down at cold but there have been a few with a weird behavior that speed up. If there is any excess cleaner or lubricant in the barrel, or a carbon build up, you can expect trouble when cold as well.

In most cases, going much hotter will cause this, and I don't recall Staball being as bad as some other ball powders.

Any chance there was oil in the barrel? Dust, snow, mud?

Barrel should have been clean but spending a few days in the mountains with on and off snow it's possible.

Just a suggestion, even though it may or may not have had anything to do with your pressure issue.

I run a piece of electrical tape on the muzzle when hunting elk/deer.

I have seen many accidents, and have cleaned out too many plugged barrels. I have converted many of those folks to tape on the muzzle when hunting in the Rockies.

I have had damp brass cold weld. Almost blew up my 6mm creed, got a few flurry's of snow in the ammo box when I went to load the gun. Must have welded the bullet to the case.

So I just got home from my elk hunt. I used a 300 wsm I put together myself. I'm shooting 195 gr badlands right at 2900 fps, using staball 6.5. It shoots great. Not to get to deep into hunt details but I ended up firing 4 times. I was getting some heavy bolt lift on the first three shots, The fourth shot, I couldn't open the bolt, thank god that was the kill shot. I had a few pieces of brass when doing load development I could not get sized properly for whatever reason. I tossed those out. All other brass chambered fine. Would going from 800 feet to 8700 feet change pressure? I totally understand the elevation drop, but never thought about pressure. I was shooting high at a long distance
Was your gun or ammo wet when you shot 4 x ?

Almost blew up my 6mm creed, got a few flurry's of snow in the ammo box when I went to load the gun. Must have welded the bullet to the case.

Betting that it's more to do with the wet cases than bullet weld. Always spritz water on your cases and check for pressure before settling on that as your load. Wet cases wreak havoc on warm loads.

Betting that it's more to do with the wet cases than bullet weld. Always spritz water on your cases and check for pressure before settling on that as your load. Wet cases wreak havoc on warm loads.
I had a wet case take me for a loop, was verifying POI in the rain with a hot load, very stiff bolt lift almost locked up the bolt, lesson learned.. when working up loads take @parshal advise "Always spritz water on your cases and check for pressure before settling on that as your load"