Why gun co’s making 224 cal valkyrie in short barrels ?

If I get bored this weekend I will find their post and do a cut/paste. I've been told that twice and I have ask for a link both times, but of course they don't have one.

I would buy into their theory on 12.5 barrels if they used a different powder. They are using CFE223, 8208 and more that everyone seems to like on the Grendel site.

Their load data matches mine, but I'm running those loads out of 18 and 20 inch barrels against their 12.5", so it only stands to reason the majority of their powder is burnt out side the bore!

I am at Scheels sporting goods right now in Iowa city Iowa They have 2 used 224 Valk AR15 in the case for sale. real short barrels. Look like 18 or 20 inch barrels maybe. Looks like some one was not happy with them. Marty
I am at Scheels sporting goods right now in Iowa city Iowa They have 2 used 224 Valk AR15 in the case for sale. real short barrels. Look like 18 or 20 inch barrels maybe. Looks like some one was not happy with them. Marty

Just as RT2506 said, longer is faster. I don't know why ppl insist on putting LR cartridges in shorter and shorter barrels.

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/02/224-valkyrie-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity/
This one is from RifleShooter.com
They set up a bolt gun w/28" barrel. Shot it. Chronoed it and then cut 1" off it till they got to 16.5". 24" seems to be the number. Good read.

On the PRS blog they had one article where they did that with a 7.62x39. I'm not sure why they picked that cartridge but 22" was the best length.

The 7.62x39 was originally designed for a 16" barrel, (IIRC) so it surprised me the optimal length turned out to be 22". I've built three 7.62;39 AR's, two had 20" barrels to get the most out of the platform. My last build was 16" but it's going to be a dedicated night vision with a can.

Point being even a lowly cartridge like the 7.62x39 performs best with a longer barrel. Longer than a industry standard! So It's obvious they are doing a disservice to the hotrod chamberings designed for the AR platform.

Yep. Like I said on my original post I will not buy a 224 cal or for that matter any long range cal gun in less it has a min of 24 inch barrel.
My research shows only factory AR15 224 valk in a 24 inch barrel is a CMMG. Scheels had 1 for $1699.00 nice looking gun but waiting for prices to come down a little. marty

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.