Why am I getting case expansion at webbing?

CodyMac746

I have a 338 Norma and use rcbs FL die. They are ridiculously hard to get into the die. I've used hornady one shot and unique case lube and they have the same effect. Now I'm noticing my rounds are hard to chamber, took a sharpie to a couple. There's a defined ring at the webbing. After firing, the ring seems to go away and they're easy to eject. It's Lapua brass that is twice fired and annealed. Should I try a different sizing die or is it something else.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hard to extract upon firing is one situation.
Hard to size is another, and...
Hard to chamber after sizing is another.

Use a micrometer to check the diameters of 1) virgin unfired, 2) once fired, 3) resized.
Also check the critical lengths.

When I find a difficult sizing situation, I clean the dies and inspect them with a borescope. I "reset" the die with Imperial lube before attempting more work.

If the dies, chamber, and brass don't coordinate, you will typically have clickers (difficult extraction). If you are only seeing high drag during sizing, and the dimensions are not out of whack, then it is usually the sizing lube or the condition of the die or both.

If the die is brand new, I would take a hard look and make sure there is no brass sticking to the walls.

A bulge where the web thins into the case body can be normal. Harder to size, when using the wrong lube.

RCBS 2 applied with a pad.

Attachments

• 20221030_222834.jpg
    20221030_222834.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 66
As recommended above, clean the die with brush and solvent to remove any contamination from manufacture, clean regularly to remove accumulated "debris". Surprising how much stuff can build up in a die even in short time. Brass clean?

Agree looks like die issue.

I had chattering when sizing 250ai with imperial lube. Went to Royal lube and never another issue. I cleaned dies etc but changing lube did the trick. Id measure cases as others have said

I had sizing issues with an RCBS 338 NM die not forming cases enough to chamber well. At some point I noticed an inch long crack top to bottom in the middle of the die body. I don't know how I didn't hear that crack form.
I feel for you on the sizing. I found that polishing the cases and using an even coat of RCBS lube or Imperial wax did a decent job. I'm thinking of trying the lanolin/alcohol method as I've heard great things about it. I also found out that not all shell holders that "work" for 338 NM are equal. The RCBS #48 was the ticket.

I have the rcbs #48, I usually tumble brass in corncob before processing. I will clean the die out and give it a try with rcbs lube/pad. If that doesn't work I'll try another

I have no unfired brass currently, but I can measure the before and after sizing and then again after firing. But the after firing seems to be fine and the bulge is no longer there.

Once again thank you guys, I'll try these see if it works and report back. If not I'll be ordering a new FL die.

Cleaned the die this morning and resized a few cases with rcbs case lube/pad. No more bulge at the webbing and a lot easier to run in the press. Never thought a different lube would make that much of a difference.
I too didn't put much stock in different lubes but there is something to it and how you apply it also matters. Glad you have a good result.

I had a similar issue with my 338 Norma/Lapua Brass but with a Hornady sizing die. Was using Hornady one shot lube. Switched to a 10:1 by volume mixture of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol : Lanolin oil and everything sizes alot better now. You can get the stuff on Amazon and easy to make in bulk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102_101838_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102_101838_Messages.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 47
I can't say enough good about the Lanolin/ Alcohol mixture, haven't stuck a case since. Knock on wood. I couldn't find the Lanolin in stores so I ordered on Amazon also