Who makes the bad carbon fiber barrels I see mentioned in articles???

Cholla

I have read article after article that warns to avoid carbon fiber barrels that are not wrapped correctly to dissipate heat. Yet, they never state who is making the barrels wrong. I am getting the feeling that the writers are just passing on rumors of something they heard. Is there a company that makes them wrong? If so, how are they staying in business?

How olds the article? Had a remigton special run carbon 22-250 that had a liner come loose, and a friend had an early 2000s Christensen browning that looked like the laminator did it after huffing fumes from the resin.

Aside from that I'd think modern carbon is pretty dialed, abs seemed to have worked out the kinks laying down the foundation for proof. I'd imagine benchmark, proof, hca, carbon six etc have it fairly well dialed. What was true 25 years ago isn't true now, same as carbon bikes or arrows or barrels.

Just about any article written in the last two-three years mentions how some have made the barrels wrong and they are unable to dissipate heat. I agree with you that by now, it should be well-known science on how to make a barrel.

Sounds like it's a Russia hoax. Lol.

About the only thing I have seen/heard that is backed up by observable facts, is that proof barrels have a tendency (not all of them, but some) to pressure out early and be a little slow due to tight bores. They still usually shoot very well, however don't reach the velocity potential of the cartridge. Again, not all of them, but quite a few.

About the only thing I have seen/heard that is backed up by observable facts, is that proof barrels have a tendency (not all of them, but some) to pressure out early and be a little slow due to tight bores. They still usually shoot very well, however don't reach the velocity potential of the cartridge. Again, not all of them, but quite a few.
Cody ive shot quite a few Proof Carbons and its not my experience at all.
I've heard the internet talk but not my experience.

Cody ive shot quite a few Proof Carbons and its not my experience at all.
I've heard the internet talk but not my experience.
When I was at his shop talking with Nick at straitjacket armory, that does nearly as many proof prefits as proof themselves, and has slugged quite a few of them, I was told this. The couple of proof's I have worked loads up for, including a 300 wsm and a 7 Sherman max, have also been a little on the slow side. And it's not just the carbons, per Nick. They cut and send out 20+ pre-fits a day, often times more. Take it for what it's worth......

Last edited:

My one and only proof barrel seems a bit slow by comparison to book load data. Shoots I the .2s-.3s so no complaints though.

When I was at his shop talking with Nick at straitjacket armory, that does nearly as many proof prefits as proof themselves, and has slugged quite a few of them, I was told this. The couple of proof's I have worked loads up for, including a 300 wsm and a 7 Sherman max, have also been a little on the slow side. And it's not just the carbons, per Nick. Take it for what it's worth......
I know what the chatter is but all the Carbons and Steel barrels of Proof ive shot all did well and were right on par with all the other brands I've shot in speed and accuracy.
I dont get the tight bore claim Kreiger makes .299 and .236 and I believe a .218 22 cal barrel along with other manufacture.
All I can give is my experience take it for what its worth.

I have read article after article that warns to avoid carbon fiber barrels that are not wrapped correctly to dissipate heat. Yet, they never state who is making the barrels wrong. I am getting the feeling that the writers are just passing on rumors of something they heard. Is there a company that makes them wrong? If so, how are they staying in business?
The only CF barrel I'd ever consider buying again would be Bartlein, they use a #4 contour then wrap it.
Others are turning the blank down pencil thin then wrapping.
I won't ruffle up the CF barrel fan boys with details of the shortfalls, but take it from me having been there I went right back to steel.

The only CF barrel I'd ever consider buying again would be Bartlein, they use a #4 contour then wrap it.
Others are turning the blank down pencil thin then wrapping.
I won't ruffle up the CF barrel fan boys with details of the shortfalls, but take it from me having been there I went right back to steel.
They offer a #4 contour that is carbon wrapped, so at least that one is smaller than #4, however it is more steel than others

Last edited:
I run carbons on my builds for hunting. Haven't had an issue yet. Proof, carbon 6, and x caliber are the ones I'm familiar with. I know when I got into the old smiths complained about issues but that was a while ago. The science and process behind it are much better now and it seems rare to hear about barrel indexing etc.