which shotgun to go with?

3" loads are plenty effective and costs less too to find desired hunting pattern. Ported choke tubes might help a little to reduce recoil. Not the 25% reduction some claim, but probably 10-20%. You could check Old Gobbler forum to see different Rem. chokes/pattern reviews. I have a Carlson's .665 ported Hevi-shot choke. It's fine, but not the tightest. Some guys want super tight patterns and are very competitive getting high pellet counts inside 10" circle. It's nice to be able to drop them on the spot at 50, but most turkeys I've shot have been 20-30 yards.There is such a thing as too tight, if the turkey is closer than 20. I will say I get almost 50% better patterns with Hevi-shot over lead. My 870's are not back bored, but I'm sure Tricky is right about even greater recoil reduction/better patterns.

In my Mossberg 835, a 3.5" mag round feels like a 3" Winchester XX mag. A 3" mag feels like a 2.75" Winchester XX mag. The back bored barrel makes that much of a difference! A 3" mag in my 870 was about all I could stand, when I still had it. Samething with my BPS.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.