Which scope mounting system preferred

normally I call on the P-rail or weaver steel bases, Leupold (SRW or PRW) or Burris signature rings. I have had too many problems with Leupold STD's. Now Leupold duel dovetails are absolutely awesome. I like SK's but I can not get them every time I need them. Badger Ord keeps me happy with their MOA offset rails.

Scope mounts, sheesh, what a variety. I'm curious what others use and why. Do you use the same for everything?
I currently have a variety of mounts, SK for the 2 Rem 700 mountain rifles, Leupold standard on several different ones, Burris Signature rings with inserts that fit Leupold based, Talley one piece rings and base for the Vanguard.

My dad prefers the Weaver dovetail stuff and has forever.

I like the SK's because it's a solid band around the scope with no screw holes or flanges, very clean looking and light. Leupold are, well, Leupold, common, reliable, solid, no problems with them. Talley are cool because they are one piece for each, one less interface to cause a problem. Thinking I may try the Picatinny Mount for more choice in mounting position of scope since I have had to change bases recently to get proper eye relief.
So gentlemen, what works for you and why do you like them?
I've switched all of mine to Near Manufacturing from 30-378's to 308's. By far the best I've used and Richard will make whatever you like and do so quickly. For hunting rigs I would suggest the Alpha Hunter for strength, durability and light weight.

I just bought a Ridgeline that has a Seekins rail on it that I am removing and putting the direct mount Hawkins hybrid rings with 25 moa built into them.

I think pictinney mounts are ugly. I've long disliked the Weaver mount system for the same reason. Well, that and their rings that used a steel band with a hook on one side and the screws on other one side really suck to square a reticle.

OTOH I've long preferred one piece bases for their added rigidity. It may not be a lot more, but it's more than a two piece base has. Small ejection port actions are likely inappropriate for a one piece if used to hunt.

My flat tops convinced me of the utility of a pictinney mount. I'm moving towards all but the ultra light rifle project having pictinney rails that are epoxy bedded to their action.

Rings for a pictinney type base that have the scope clamp screws above and below the scope (instead off to each side) are a No-Go for me. One set of those from Warne was enough to ruin me on those forever. Speaking of Warne, I don't see that name mentioned. Pretty sure that I understand why.

Picatinny rail and LaRue Tactical mount and rings for me. As for why....besides getting a great price on them, I like that I can remove the mounted scope, rings and all and put them on another rifle if I so choose. In my opinion, I paid what I paid for the guarantee of precision machining and longevity.

I think pictinney mounts are ugly. I've long disliked the Weaver mount system for the same reason. Well, that and their rings that used a steel band with a hook on one side and the screws on other one side really suck to square a reticle.

OTOH I've long preferred one piece bases for their added rigidity. It may not be a lot more, but it's more than a two piece base has. Small ejection port actions are likely inappropriate for a one piece if used to hunt.

My flat tops convinced me of the utility of a pictinney mount. I'm moving towards all but the ultra light rifle project having pictinney rails that are epoxy bedded to their action.

Rings for a pictinney type base that have the scope clamp screws above and below the scope (instead off to each side) are a No-Go for me. One set of those from Warne was enough to ruin me on those forever. Speaking of Warne, I don't see that name mentioned. Pretty sure that I understand why.
I've never tried those verticle clamping style, look funny and seems they would snag on stuff easily. Clean looks and smoothness is why I like the s&k skulptured bases and rings plus they have windage adjustment front and rear. Only for standard calibers though, no magnums. 270 win and 7mm-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.