Which Scope base and rings for this set up.

Speedygoss

So I finally received shipping confirmation from Vortex that I have a scope on the way. Its time to start thinking about base and rings.

Here is the setup.

Remington 700 Sendero .338 RUM
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA Reticle.
The scope only has 65 MOA elevation travel so I'm thinking a 40 MOA rail might be too much??? Id like to utilize as much travel as possible. Also what manufacturer of base and rings would you recommend?

Thanks,

Have you looked at DNZ Products? The Game Reaper one piece is available in 20 MOA. I bet if you called them they would build you a 30. Their customer service is awesome!

Thanks guys,

I am going to go with the Seekins today.

Couple more questions before I place the order.

1.) What height rings do I need? Scope is a 30MM tube with a 50MM objective. It will be going on a 700 long action.

2.) I want to stretch this set up out as far as possible. Doing the math with a 200 yard zero it looks like at 2000 yards I will drop about 95 MOA. the scope has 65 MOA total travel. I'm thinking a 30 MOA rail would be the best option. does this sound correct?

3.) The bases come in #6 and #8 screws. I believe for a factory action a #6 is required but wanted to be sure.

4.) the rings come in multiple lengths. which is recommended? or whats the difference? Pros and cons to the different lengths.

Thanks,
Speedy.

Bedding the rail is not necessarily a simple deal. I have my local smith do it as he has the necessary tools to do it properly. A simple explanation is he jigs the rifle up in his mill straight plum and all that stuff and verifies the receiver is correct and or fixes any problems then during the bedding process he verifies the trueness of the rail to the receiver with a dial indicator.

You know it's money well spent when mounting a new scope as I just did centering the reticle allowing for the 10 MOA slope in the rail and having it within a few clicks of dead nuts on the final sight in. When I removed the old scope there was not a ring mark on it. Seekins rings Near rail and a smith bedded rail and the rings were not lapped as it's not necessary when the rail is properly mounted.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.