Which recticle ??

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by 300shooter, Jun 20, 2004.

1. 300shooter

300shooter Member

well,for the hunting you are planning I would go with a Leupold with a std.Duplex as you will be looking into a dark areas, and this will be easier to see then. Plus on the late evenings and earier mornings the Std Duplex works great.

and thats whay I am using on my 300 winny also. [​IMG]

300shooter

2. DMCI

DMCI Well-Known Member

You might like one of those Leupold Lit reticle scopes.

That little illuminated cross is very interesting, especially if you are shooting into dark holes.

D. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mkw2

mkw2 New Member

This will be my first elk hunt. Ive hunted for many years but have never been to Colorado before Elk hunting .Which recticle should I get regardless of the scope. Fine ,Dot, , HEAVY Balistic, ??? The scope prob be a Burris ,Leupold or Zeiss in the 40/50 mm class in a 4.5 to 14 power.They all are good for certain conditions but need a all purpose reticle. I quess Ill be hunting the high country and dark blowdown areas.You guys have been there what do recomend. Thx

4. orwapitihunter

orwapitihunter Well-Known Member

Standard duplex has worked great for me. Not to heavy for fine work and not to hard to see in failing light. I've been using a 4.5-14 Leupold for several years. It's a good all around product that has helped me take several bulls. Good luck and enjoy your hunt!!

5. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

MARCUSW2...FOR THE MONEY, A LIT RETICLE WILL LET YOU SEE A PRECISE SPOT ON AN ANIMAL IN SHADOW OR FAILING LIGHT. A NON-ILLUMINATED RETICLE WILL DISAPPEAR ON ITS HIDE. A HIGHER POWER SCOPE WILL ALSO HELP POSITIVELY IDENTIFY AND SCORE AN ANIMAL IN DECENT LIGHT, BUT WILL WASH OUT AT THE HIGHER POWERS IN POOR LIGHT.( NEEDS TO BE A VARIABLE). WATCH FOR LEGAL SHOOTING HOURS, AND BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF YOUR TARGET IN POOR LIGHT.