Which MT “trophy” elk districts?

Troutslayer2

I debated if I should just reach out directly to some of you or post this. I've got nearly max MT elk points, the only reason I haven't drawn is that I've put in with parties of people who do not have many points. I think I'm going to go for it this year and burn a lifetime of points. I'm really struggling to decide where. The breaks aren't what they used to be according to some. I will have plenty of time to scout and even fly the district. I'm considering the obvious ones. I will be more of a weekend warrior DIY (can probably do 8 days straight) not going to pay a dime for access or trespass or whatever they're calling it. Will not consider an outfitter. Hoping to hunt a high 300". Any suggestions on what is the best District to do this in?

I've no direct experience but I would be tempted to try to talk to one or more biologists at Montana FWP to see if they can offer some actual data on where larger bulls can be found on public land. Might take a number of calls to actually find a helpful person but it could be worthwhile. I have 1-point and will be going for my first ever elk hunt this year in MT. I'll be using a guide since the unit is 97% private property and guide can add up to 2 points (I have to buy) to my total. Good luck.

I debated if I should just reach out directly to some of you or post this. I've got nearly max MT elk points, the only reason I haven't drawn is that I've put in with parties of people who do not have many points. I think I'm going to go for it this year and burn a lifetime of points. I'm really struggling to decide where. The breaks aren't what they used to be according to some. I will have plenty of time to scout and even fly the district. I'm considering the obvious ones. I will be more of a weekend warrior DIY (can probably do 8 days straight) not going to pay a dime for access or trespass or whatever they're calling it. Will not consider an outfitter. Hoping to hunt a high 300". Any suggestions on what is the best District to do this in?
How many points do you have & are you a Resident or NR…..?

I'm not going to lie ...the Special tags are great but they can be a "Curse " to .
Been down that road a few times living in Montana. It put so much pressure on you and the "Wife " too ! Lol
I thank Montana every day for what what I have been able to hunt /draw !
But that being said ...things have changed so much it's just getting tough in alot of areas to find let alone tag great trophys .

I push myself now to just hunt and injoy what I get . Between the Wolves , Mt.Lions , Bears the Game as slowly disappeared.
I told my youngest to not worry about putting in for points to much just go hunt where you can . By the time he gets max points or draws a tag the Game could be few and far between .
Just my 2 cents ...but the change in game animals in the 17 years I lived there is incredible.

Anyway i wish i could be there to help you pack out your Trophy of a Life time!!

Best of Luck in the Draw !

Rum Man

Did you sort out a unit to apply for, I think we need to have the apps in by the end of the month. Upper 300's uffda that's a lofty goal, real world IMO unrealistic. But possible if all your stars align and or if you draw the right tag and get the right weather or on the right property.

Just noticed that you won't pay for access so scratch the private land idea. That said, for an upper 300's I'd look at 380 (like others have said) and or the 310 Boundary line tag. If you got the right weather the Boundary tag could be a good one...but it would have to be the right weather.....and as we all know the weather can be a crap shoot!

Best of luck to ya!

Still mulling it over. Talked to an elk biologist friend and a couple regional biologists. I think my mind is made up but I'll never post a district number on the internet. I'll tell you this- it's not 380. Everyone thinks that unit is so great but have they ever hunted it? The overcrowding from spike and cow hunters is not what I'm after.

Yeah there are a couple others that run below the radar for most, one I know a good buddy passed up all comers and there was a lot of upper 300's bulls that he passed in an effort to take a 400....I know of 3 units with good possibilities besides what's been mentioned.

Hope you find what you're looking for

Still mulling it over. Talked to an elk biologist friend and a couple regional biologists. I think my mind is made up but I'll never post a district number on the internet. I'll tell you this- it's not 380. Everyone thinks that unit is so great but have they ever hunted it? The overcrowding from spike and cow hunters is not what I'm after.
Ive drawn it twice. Killed a 370 bull once passed many many many 320-330 bulls the other time chasing a monster. But I live next door and like most places in Montana if you rifle hunt you need private land access. Archery is a different story.

Recent Posts