Which McMillan Stock For A Varmint Rifle

Jud96

I am kicking around the idea of either a 22BR or 6BR, maybe a 6 Dasher or BRA for 0-400 yard varmint work. I plan to run 55-70s in either caliber and shoot from a field bench or prone. I would like to use a contour in the neighborhood of an MTU, M24, #8, or #9 finished at 26". It will be built on a Pierce SA single shot. I really like McMillan stocks so have been looking at options from them. The two stocks I'm looking at are the A3 and the Varmint. Are there other suggestions I should check out and consider? Thank you

Since you're going with a bigger barrel you might as well look at the A5 and the A3-5 both a solid options IMO. I prefer the adjustable version in both but YMMV.

Last I looked McMillan doesn't inlet for the Pierce engineering actions. When I got my shadow I was wanting to go a McMillan game warden. I had to go with an AG Composites instead.

Last I looked McMillan doesn't inlet for the Pierce engineering actions. When I got my shadow I was wanting to go a McMillan game warden. I had to go with an AG Composites instead.
They will inlet for Pierce actions. I just had them inlet a Game Hunter for a Shadow LA.

Other than ejection port size and shape, most of our actions will work with a Remington 700 inlet as well.

Jud would know better than me but I believe a Kelblys atlas inlet is what AG uses for the Pierce shadow so maybe mcmillan can do a Kelblys inlet?

Jud would know better than me but I believe a Kelblys atlas inlet is what AG uses for the Pierce shadow so maybe mcmillan can do a Kelblys inlet?
Yes you can do that for the Shadow and Skele-Ti actions. Our port is similar in length to the Kelbly Atlas so we can use their stocks.

They do but, be careful and explain the exact action and explain the measurements also.
I placed an order and after 5 months got it back with the wrong inlet for another Pierce long action. Apparently pierce has LA's that were/are different. When pierce changes action openings the information didn't get communicated. McMillan had me take measurements with calipers and then they reached out to pierce to update that specific LA.
In short it cost me a lot of time.
Here are the before and after stock inlets on different stocks since the first got sent back.
McMillan inleted on what they knew. They went out of their way to get it right even though they ate the cost on it all. Most manufacturers send them a dummy action so they can reference it physically if needed.

Attachments

• 21148F66-1A00-4412-8FBB-BEC4FB72E6B9.jpeg
    21148F66-1A00-4412-8FBB-BEC4FB72E6B9.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • B243F402-8DF1-47E2-986E-BB26F340EE33.jpeg
    B243F402-8DF1-47E2-986E-BB26F340EE33.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I run the A3 with adjustable cheekpiece and LOP spacers on my prairie dog rifles. The shallow angle on the bottom of the buttstock is great for making small elevation changes by moving the rear bag forward or back. All the adjustments make the gun fit me and makes for comfortable shooting. I went with the heavy sniper fill for extra weight. Really like this setup

Because of looks or have you shot one? I ask be cause I love the hook feature as the majority of time behind the A5 was spent in the prone position.
I don't like the look and I don't know how well a hook would allow the stock to track the in the bags or how it would work making small adjustments sliding he bag back and forth without snagging the hook. Just my thoughts on it. I can see it being nice with a squeeze bag but I don't typically use a bag like that.

Recent Posts