Which bullet for Utah deer hunt/143 ELDX or 135 Berger Classic Hunter?

I wonder whey no one mentions the 130 and 140g Sierra Game changers?
we used to get drop shipments from sierra so would buy hunting bullets as well as matchkings, Sierra bullets were always accurate but last year I shot a very big buck in the neck with a 140 gameking in a 6.5x284 at about 200 yds and I haven't ever seen a deer flop over and hit the ground so hard but when I got up to him he got back up on his feet and tryed to walk away from me but he couldn't make his legs work well so I shot him in the head and stopped his suffering, I sure didn't like the look in his eyes as I walked up to him it was terror, when we cut him up I could not find a hole in him from that 140gk and my buddy and I looked very hard, just a big bruise in the neck where I aimed we figured that bullet just blew up upon hitting the hide as we always cut and wrap the meat and never found a hole or bullet. I have shot lots of deer and elk with gamekings out of a 30-06 and never had a problem and the 140 game king could have been a fluke

I had one bullet blow up but it penetrated a little bit and then blew before making it into then vitals. This was out of a 300Rum. 220ELDX. The rib bone was shattered but the bullet went to extreme fragments and this was a long distance kill. Still DRT, but big bullet to fragment so much. No exit wound just a real big hole on the entry side. Still use them but I also use Berger's and ABLR's.

Went to the range today and brought the 6.5 CM along with some 143 grain ELD-Xs I loaded up for practice (+/- 2,680 fps and shooting .5"). Had the Garmin Xero Chrono and my Kestrel.

The range has steel targets from 200 to 600 yards in 100 yard increments. Using a bipod and the NX8 4-32x scope (both holding over and dialing), I could consistently hit all of the smallest targets they had out to 600 yards. I may load up some of the Hammer bullets I have to test those as well to 600 (they are a bit expensive for target practice), but the 143 ELD-Xs are definitely up to the task for some longer range shots. Will be using those to practice up until the season opens.

I never shot anything with the new game changer bullets. Everything I've seen and read about them they are supposed to be very hard bullets that don't do well at lower velocity. I have about 300 of them in 175gr. for a 270 wsm when they first came out.

Went to the range today and brought the 6.5 CM along with some 143 grain ELD-Xs I loaded up for practice (+/- 2,680 fps and shooting .5"). Had the Garmin Xero Chrono and my Kestrel.

The range has steel targets from 200 to 600 yards in 100 yard increments. Using a bipod and the NX8 4-32x scope (both holding over and dialing), I could consistently hit all of the smallest targets they had out to 600 yards. I may load up some of the Hammer bullets I have to test those as well to 600 (they are a bit expensive for target practice), but the 143 ELD-Xs are definitely up to the task for some longer range shots. Will be using those to practice up until the season opens.
I don't know if the monolithic bullets would be a very good choice in a 6.5 creedmoor at 600 yards. I think your velocity would be to low for the hh bullet. I've shot my 25 creedmoor at 600 and 700 yards at old cans of chilli with the berger 133 hybrid hunters and didn't see much destruction with them at those ranges. Basically bulged the can. With bigger calibers they completely blow the can up. I'd stick with the eldx or move up to a larger gun for hunting passed 350 yards.

I would say the 6.5 creed at 600 is going to be just as effective as the 243 load that my wife used at 300. The 243 is going faster at 300 but had less retained energy at 300 than the 6.5 at 600. I used 2800 for the 243 and 2650 for the creed. This is the speeds I chrono'ed out of our guns from my 87 VLD hand load and a box of 143eldx loaded hornady hunter ammo. I would say if your going to practice with 143ELDX bullets and then want to switch to a mono you asking for trouble. I hunt with and practice with the same bullets and loads. I do run other bullets at times like in my 308. Practice, fun shooting, and hunting in my 308 I shoot 212eldx, Berger 210vld, and and some 195Eldm's. And for fun just cause it's a 1/10 twist 308 I launched some 230 Berger's out of it about 2 weeks ago but I think I was still having a little key holing. Same with my 7mm-08. And tomorrow morning I'm testing some 142ABLR in my 6.5 creed.

6.5 Creedmoor is an excellent cartridge, well proven in the PRS world. You can hit paper and steel easily past 1200 yards. However, in my opinion, there is a definite limit to the range that the 65CM should be used to harvest animals. 65CM sheds velocity and energy quickly as you get 500 and further. Then you get into a projectile selection process - the bullet that works zero to 300 may not have good terminal performance past 300 and the bullet that works well past 300 may "blow up" at close range. With 65CM, you may hit your target at 400+ yards but you may not get the terminal performance you want.

My hunting partners used Bergers in 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm RUM. On Wyoming mule deer and antelope - Bergers were 50/50 performance. 1/2 instant one shot harvest and 1/2 no expansion and just zipped through like ice pick.

I would pick the Hammers myself if they work well in your rifle.

However, any of the choices listed will do the job provided you do your job of placing the bullet on target accurately. I would suggest you pick one, buy a crap load of them, and start shooting at distance, different angles, etc.

Good luck on your hunt!

1716824048673.jpeg

Just adding a little amusement to the conversation. ;) Best wishes on your hunt.

Drew a buck tag in Utah this fall (Cache unit up north). Planning to take my Sako A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle shoots most bullets amazingly well (under .5 MOA) and I have the following loads that all shoot great:

143 grain ELD-X @ 2,710 fps

135 Berger Classic Hunter @ 2,770 fps

125 grain Hammer Tipped Hunter bullet @ 2,920 fps

I know all of them are capable of doing the job, but curious what the group thinks, especially those who have shot deer with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Previously, I always used a 30 cal rifle on deer (308 Win, 30-06, 300 WM) and have never taken game yet with the 6.5 CM. Also, the 6.5CM is topped with a Nightforce NX8 4-32x F2 scope, so very capable of handling the long range shots.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Easy answer…….Hammer! Provided you keep your animal within the velocities needed for good expansion!

Their accuracy will rival the other two…..with much better performance on game! IMO memtb