Where/who once fired brass

alphaco

New to reloading. Just received my new Forster press and other tools. Would like to hear opinions about purchasing once fire military brass for 223 and 308. Looking to buy 1K or 2K of each. Any recommendations of good price and for reputable dealers? Any concerns about used military/range brass? Keep reading about issues with m60 fire brass? I will be full length resizing and crimping so any reason o be concerned?

New to reloading. Just received my new Forster press and other tools. Would like to hear opinions about purchasing once fire military brass for 223 and 308. Looking to buy 1K or 2K of each. Any recommendations of good price and for reputable dealers? Any concerns about used military/range brass? Keep reading about issues with m60 fire brass? I will be full length resizing and crimping so any reason o be concerned?

If you're FL resizing, I don't see any problems with your brass feeding in a bolt gun, but if you're feeding a semiauto, you may want to choose a small base FL sizing die for a slightly reduced diameter which equals smoother feeding.
I haven't had any issues with using once fired mil brass in AR's, using standard dies.
The biggest thing is to ensure that you get ALL of the primer crimp out before reloading, or you'll have other issues.
I like mil brass because it's thicker than commercial brass, and as long as I anneal it every 3rd or 4th loading, it lasts quite a while. The primer pockets enlarge after 10-12 loadings to the point where they no longer hold a primer, and I'm too lazy to re-swage the pockets to tighten them up.
Mil brass is getting cheaper all the time too...

Don't forget to reduce your loads some to make up for the thicker brass....

Other then that, it's great stuff for the price once it's prepped!

Scott

I leave all military brass laying on the range. It dosn't really fit into the specs in loading manuals, and quality is not impressive at all.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.