where can I find extended length P14 action screws ?

The Pattern 14 is not common any more in the USA. You might try Brownells. They have guard screws made my Forster for the Enfields with straightened guards. But, it depends on how much longer the screws you need, need to be.

Depends on how much longer you want. As sold by Brownell's , the "As Issued" are - front- 1.040", rear - 1.880", For a "Straightened Guard " front - 1.281". rear - 1.873".
The front screw in the "Straightened" set is longer - 1.281" to 1.040", ,
and the rear screw in the "As Issued " set is a hair longer - 1.880" to 1.873".
Brownell's also sells "Blank Screws" is many sizes, no threads. You would need a 1/4" - 30 tpi threading die . Beveling the blank end of the shaft 45 degrees or so helps getting the threading die started square

Last edited:
The gunsmith I went to wants the equivalent of $200 to make two screws. The reason for me asking.
That just means he doesn't want the job. Kinda' like doing a muzzle threading job where the client says "no" to a thread protector, but later comes back and wants you to make one custom thread protector for his rifle for what he deems a "reasonable" price. And," I'll pick it up tomorrow!"

He definitely wanted the job. That cost was only one line item on the job quote.

I gave my VZ24 barelled action to have the action changed to a P14. I asked for an estimate verbally, which I was given, and on that basis I said I would accept, provided I received a written quote first.

At the same time I needed cross-bolts fitted to a stock, and he did that for me, also charging a hefty price, but I wasn't too concerned, his turnaround time was two days, and the workmanship is excellent.

A couple of days after handing over the action, I hadn't had a quote, so I reminded him. By that time he had fitted the P14 action to my barrel. The quote came in, it was triple what he had verbally estimated to me.

Just to give context, my total 375 RUM build including all new components cost less than what this quote was, all I asked for was to change that action. Included there was changing the mag box, and fitting a new follower. The action rails would have needed to be cut back a bit.

I made him stop there, I retrieved my barrel with the P14 action, and paid for the work done to that point. Again, for context, the new Remington action with RUM boltface cost me less than this P14 action and fitment.

On the plus side, I have a beautiful Winchester P14 action on my 500 Jeffery barrel. I also have a smith lined up to fit the new mag box, I was able to track down the same gunsmith who built the rifle originally.

The purpose of the extended screws was to build the mag box a bit longer so it takes 4 rounds, at the moment at standard length it looks like it will take 3, which is also fine, the VZ24 could only fit 2.

I think some people make up charges based on caliber. If it was a 30-06 it would have been another price, when it's 500 Jeffery the 'smiths just seems to see dollar signs. The last smith I went to didn't want to change the action, instead offered to scrap the rifle and build me a double square bridge mauser for $12,000 .

Maybe there's something written on my forehead I just can't see.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.