What?

Lots of good suggestions so far. When tracking down an unknown accuracy issue, definitely eliminate the long range stuff. The variables of hitting where you want at 600 yards just add difficulty to figuring out a problem.

If your gun shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards, lots of things can turn that into a 1.5 or 2MOA group at 600 (9-12") without there being a physical problem with the rifle or optic. Wind, inconsistent loads, form, barrel condition, etc. Combine a couple of these and the group can grow even more. If you can confirm that the gun and load shoot consistently at shorter ranges and the scope adjusts properly, it's capable of shooting well at 600 as well. For the guys on this site, 600 is normal stuff but its a long poke if you are getting started and have a new rifle thrown in the mix.

As stated above, I would scrub it well including copper removal and do some groups at 100 or 200 yards. If it shoots well, dial the scope a rotation up and back down, shoot again, right a rotation and back, shoot again and see if its coming back to zero. I would scrub some more during this process to get the barrel broke in.

We do hundreds of Leupolds and have almost no issues with scopes not adjusting and returning to zero correctly. Since they updated the VX3 a year and a half ago, we have sent 1 scope back and it was due to a tiny piece of black material floating around inside not an adjustment issue. Thats pretty good considering 100% of our customers are dialing. That doesn't mean you don't have a scope issue, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

The good news is the way to figure it out is more shooting!

Last edited:
Simple.

1: AS STATED ABOVE....... Throw the bore snake away and get a GOOD quality 1 piece rod (either Stainless or coated) . No aluminum!!!! good jags...patches...rod guide...solvent (cleaning and copper) ect......

2: Remove scope.......check bases......mount new scope of known quality.....ALSO STATED ABOVE!!

3: If you are unsure of your shooting abillaties at 600....move closer. Shoot a few groups......do not adjust your scope.

4: Adjust your scope and shoot 5.......adjust again....shoot 5 more. This could be a waisted step since the scope has been changed out, but it gives you a chance to check out the new scope.

Now, you have just eliminated a dirty/fouled gun, loose/improperly installed bases, bad scope and loose rings.

5: Report back and let us know

Last edited:
You guys have been very awesome and I really appreciate the wisdom. My smith told me to check the mounts and last night I did and they did'nt seem loose but I gave them a lil snugging. This afternoon I went out and did a new 5 shot group with a different load and grain just for ***** and had 2 in one hole and 2 in another hole and they were about 1/2 apart and one 1/2 inch away. So I shot about a 1 1/4" group @ a 100. I will talk later have to go. Thanks and keep the info coming.

Like I say still new @ the game.

Excellent advices thus far. Long range shooting/hunting doesn't happen over night ... there are no short cuts ... esp from 100 yards and then jumping to 600 yards.

Practice, practice,practice! Take your time and enjoy the learning process and experience. Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Shot my 6.5 X 284 and my 7MM today @ a 600 and 880 shoot. Shooting south east with a 7-12 MPH wind out of the east north east. Held for wind 16-18" left of center. Both guns were 8-10" high and 10" to the right of center. The wind and sure whoop you up. Both guns were in line for vertical the 7MM was 1 1/2" lower than the 6.5 Adjusted for vertical for out to 880 held about 42" left of center and a BIG miss and so were 13 other shooters. WIND!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!! Never shoot my 6.5 @ 880 before so I was'nt expecting to much either. Better luck next time.

You're right about that, it's something else. It wouldn't be so bad if it was steady and full value, but when it's gusting or whipping and 1/4 or 3/4 value, ya better have some bullets. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts