What roe deer bullet for 223 1:9" ?

exabit

I'm thinking about getting a Remington 700 Police 26" in 223 to get back to target shooting at the 300 meter range. I also want to be able to do some hunting with this rig and therefor I'm getting myself totally confused with the bullet selection. The largest critters will be roe deer (roughly 60 lbs on the hoof) along with red fox and various birds.

I'm a bit stuck with the bullet selection as I'd like to use A-Max 75, but I don't think the twist can stabilize this bullet? And if it could, the stability factor will still be poor which might lead to unpleasant surprises in the terminal ballistics department.

Will do mostly target shooting prone with bipod and thus practice for hunting applications at the same time. This means roe deer at 300 meters or maaaybe 400, but I'm not really sure about stretching it more than the 300 meter mark.

I'd appreciate suggestions and preferably your own experiences with the 223 with 1:9" twist.

(I have also thought about 243 Win but the standard twist will probably not stabilize the A-Max 105 so kind of the same problem there...)

My 1-9 twist savage shoots 68 bthp match hornadays great and I use them for coyotes out to 500 yards

I'm a .243 guy, standard twist probably won't stabilize those 105 grainers, but it may stabilize 95 grain Berger VLD's and it should, for sure, stabilize the 87 grain VLD's. They're built for accuracy, but the hunting versions should be absolutely great for roe deer, and the high BC's are a real plus for shooting 300+ yards.

60 gr nosler p/t, 64gr win pp, 65gr SGK all work and are hunting bullets.
Have used the win 64gr on whitetail did a good job.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.