What Reticle Should I use?

wildcat

Well as must of you know, I am having a new rifle built. I am going to buy a Nightforce NXS 8x32x56mm scope. My problem is, I am having a hard time trying to decide between two reticles.

The two reticles I am looking at are the;
NP-2DD (Double Dot)
or
MLR

The scope will be mounted on my new 300 Varminter, and I will be using the 125grn BT bullet for varminting. I will be shooting out to 800 yards, however, most of the shooting will be done from 400 to 600 yards. Do to my bullet choice, I think I am going to need a scope that allows me to correct for windage without using the windage knob.

I really like the NP-2DD reticle, but I think the MLR will work better. However, as I metioned, most of the shooting will be done from 400 to 600 yards, and I will be pushing the 125grn BT at 4000+fps. I am thinking the MLR reticle might not be necessary because the bullet will shoot so flat at the ranges I mentioned. I will be shooting the California ground squirrel. They are very small.

I would like to here your opinions about what reticle you think would be best.

W.

Wildcat, do to the flat trajectory of your bullet and the ranges you will be shooting to, I would go with the NP-2DD. I personally like the NP-2DD for my long range shooting, however, I use my windage knob for my adjustments.

P44

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.