What do you use to level the reticle?

Old Rooster

I have bought many different tools and still had a slanted reticle on a couple of scopes.
I have the Level Level tool from Wheeler,the Professional level system also from Wheeler I believe and have used the plum bob system and still have a couple slightly slanted reticles.
I just bought a new tool that fixed all my slightly off reticles and was only 19.95.
So far I have fixed all my slightly off reticles and a couple of friends with the same problem.
Has anyone used this before?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MC71PC4/?tag=lrhmag19-20
I hope all scopes I mount will be as easy as my new mounted Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50.
Let me know if there are better tools out there.
Old Rooster

I have used feeler gauges to do something similar as your amazon gizmo. However, now I've resort to using a plumb bob or a vertical edge verified via a level. I don't worry about my reticle being aligned with the rifle and would rather have my reticle aligned where I'm natural in a prone position versus the bottom of the scope housing.

I have used feeler gauges to do something similar as your amazon gizmo. However, now I've resort to using a plumb bob or a vertical edge verified via a level. I don't worry about my reticle being aligned with the rifle and would rather have my reticle aligned where I'm natural in a prone position versus the bottom of the scope housing.
If you don't align the scope with the rifle barrel, there will be a significant POI shift with long range targets. Your impact will be either left or right.

I see your point aron.
As long as it helps you to shoot well I am happy for you.
PredatorSlayer has made a good point also about down range accuracy.
I just bought a Howa 1500 and I put the new scope I bought on it and for the life of me I cannot keep the rifle level so the scope reticle was canted until I got that little tool.
With that little tool I can have the rifle sideways and it still levels off the bottom of the scope.
A video on youtube shows how far off the top turrent can be so I don't use that anymore.
Thanks for your input.
Old Rooster

If you don't align the scope with the rifle barrel, there will be a significant POI shift with long range targets. Your impact will be either left or right.
You have the tolerances of the bore to barrel, receiver, rail, scope rings, reticle aligned to bottom of scope tube. It was be curious to see when the bottom of the scope is leveled per the rail how far off the reticle ends up from the bore. I honestly don't know the poi shift of the reticle being off center from the bore. I'll have to do some math after a few beers tonight when that stuff makes more sense.

It most certainly is important to ensure the reticle isn't canted versus gravity which is taken care of by running bubble level mounts.

I use the wheeler leveling tools . I use the two that wheeler produces . Level your rifle then level the scope and tighten everything down while holding everything still

Me to, I bought the whole Wheeler 25mm/30mm scope mounting & lapping kit which the level level is part of.
While it may not be the best thing on the market It does the job for me.

Aron, that is a good point but I am not aware of any scope mounting level tool that uses the bore as it leveling point??

Last edited:
Here's one, you level the reticle to the bore, set your level to both, fire a couple rounds at a 100 yards to confirm. The dial 500 and every round hits to the side 2 moa. Return to zero and use 500 yard mark on reticle and you're back to center! Took me 100 rounds out of a barrel and a set of screws to figure out all scopes don't track square to the reticle.

I guess what some of the guys are saying I use both the wheeler leveling equipment but getting the rifle level and the scope level doesn't mean they are square to each other ????

The flashlight method surprising works a lot easier. A plumb line works very nice. A paper printed tall target also works.
I use just the level + the barrel level from wheeler. Obviously as many seem to know, the scope cap is not a precise way of leveling the scope. Once the barrel level is on and I know where the rifle is level at, I level the scope reticle to gravity, or a plumb line, and then install whatever bubble level that I'm going to use for the build.
One degree cant will displace poi at 1000 about 5 inches laterally

I guess what some of the guys are saying I use both the wheeler leveling equipment but getting the rifle level and the scope level doesn't mean they are square to each other ????

Correct, the level tools work of the action, so how do you know the action is true to the bore line?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.