What is this for?

Jmatt

I was cleaning out a drawer this morning and came across this old pocket knife, which I'm thinking was my grandfather's.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this blade is for. Does anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_5538.jpeg
    IMG_5538.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_5537.jpeg
    IMG_5537.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 303
I was cleaning out a drawer this morning and came across this old pocket knife, which I'm thinking was my grandfather's.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this blade is for. Does anyone know?
I have it on some of my knives, it's a leather hole maker. A small slit, then this is turned in it, cutting out a hole. It needs to be very sharp to work properly. The taper is for different sizes of holes. I would sharpen the very end of mine to start the hole, works great for belts and harnes.

That is to scrape out a (smoking) pipe bowl. Lots of pocket knives had that blade back in the day.
You may be right, that one doesn't look sharpened, my pipe scraper looks like a very small spoon and before I had that, I used whatever fit in it, including the regular knife blade...of course I had to sharpen it afterwards, but that was just part of the routine.

I have never seen one sharp enough to punch a hole in leather. They are generally flat on the end.

I have, however, watched old timers clean their pipes with them and was told that was what they were for. A lot of folding knives (called pocket knives back then) had that blade on them.