What is the best reloading kit?

Ok, so I have really been doing my homework on these kits and my head is about to explode!!!
At first I was leaning toward the Rockchucker master kit from RCBS. Now I was going through my Midway catalog tonight and I really like the Lyman Kit alot. It has the case trimmer included in it and it is a turret press, which I think would come in handy. Problem is, according to Midway's online catalog, I don't see a Lyman neck sizing die for the 7mm Rem Mag. I guess this really isn't a necessity, but seems like a good idea not to overwork the brass. I also seem to think that it may be futile, since the neck is the most likely place to get cracks and overworked brass to start with, so I don't know really how much of a benefit this would be.
Anyone out there have this kit or any inside information? It would be extremely helpful. The wife has bee after me about what she can tell Santa to bring me for Christmas, and I want to make sure the fat man in red does a good job!!!! Thanks in advance.

Ok, so I have really been doing my homework on these kits and my head is about to explode!!!.... The wife has bee after me about what she can tell Santa to bring me for Christmas, and I want to make sure the fat man in red does a good job!!!! Thanks in advance.

Relax a little and breathe...
The Lyman is a good kit. You'll be very happy with it I am sure.
A trimmer is nice to have, and if you shoot a lot, especially bottleneck cartridges, you'll want to have a trimmer on hand.
I reload 1000 .223 cartridges every other month, and haven't yet had to trim.
I load about 1000 45ACP a month, and have yet to trim. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th go round on this batch.
Once I get rolling on my match shooting ammo, I will be trimming, and neck sizing, and scaling, and blah, blah, blah.
Don't sweat the small stuff bud.
If you like the Lyman setup, go with it.
Dies are interchangeable. They're all threaded the same.
Shell holders are interchangeable for the most part, though Hornady seems to be a little finicky at times.
Worry more about how you're going to store all your new stuff, and figure out where you'll be keeping your ammo...then triple the space you think you need for ammo. Trust me on that...it's addictive...

Haha!!! Yeah, I think I need a chill pill. Sounds like sound advice. I was looking in my reloading manual (Sierra) and it gives me a "trim to length" measurement that is a little shorter (not much, but a little) than the new unfired Winchester brass that I just picked up. I did not realize that the dies were interchangeable with the presses, so that's good to know. I have watched my grandfather load many many rounds in the past. He was a bit of an expert you could say at it. I would love to have his advice. Sadly, he passed on this April and I miss the crazy out of him. He always had sound advice, but since I don't have him around any more I have to rely on you guys here with you experience. I truly appreciate the insight.

I have watched my grandfather load many many rounds in the past. He was a bit of an expert you could say at it. I would love to have his advice. Sadly, he passed on this April and I miss the crazy out of him.
I'm sure that as you get yourself rolling with reloading, he'll be sure to pop in from time to time, looking over your shoulder, just to be sure you're doing things properly.
That's what we're here for too. Better to ask a question you think to be dumb, than blow yourself up, get maimed, or worse.
That being said, develop yourself a system, especially when you're dropping powder into the cases, and keep it consistent.
The fundamental aspects of reloading are constant across ALL types of cartridges.
There's slight variations for some, added steps if you will, but pretty much the same.
Have a healthy respect for what you're working with, and you'll do great!
I myself started by loading handgun cartridges. 1000 45ACP.
Went STRICTLY by the book.
What a rush to shoot those first few boxes!
I still have the first good cartridge I ever made too. Hangs on my shelf with my cartridge poster...right beside the first rifle case I made, and the case of the rifle round I shot my first deer with.
We're all here to help you succeed.
God Bless!
Dave

Thanks alot buddy. It's been something that I have really wanted to do for a long time, just didn't have the time nor the funds to get going with it. It's been a tough time since April. I had originally planned to use my grandfather's old equipment with my dad giving me a hand, but I just don't think I could stand to use his stuff in his shop without him there. Thanks again for all of the good advice.

Bought a Lyman kit back in the early eighties when I started reloading, used it for many a thousands of rounds!! In the early days I had the stuff bolted to 2x8s and clamped to the kitchen table to use it and stored in the closet otherwise...Got to have an understanding better half for this! The turrent press worked good for normal resizeing but when the center screw boke last year and Lymann didnt have a replacement I bought a Rockchucker to replace it and had the machinest at work make up a new center bolt. Have yet to reset it up as the Rockchucker works better (exept for thier spent primer catcher) than the the old unadjustable Lyman (the new one has an adjuster on the back side) ever did.
Still use the powder drop for ball powder but have gone to a 1200 scale for stick powders and as my main scale.
The Dillon has also made reloading the 20ppc,204,223,223ai,6br,243 and 9mm a whole lot faster.
Long way around the barn but I'd buy the Lymann kit again!
It didnt however work worth a hoot for reloading the 50BMG:D

old%20toy%20pics%20095.jpg

pistols%20010.jpg

Ok, so I have really been doing my homework on these kits and my head is about to explode!!!
At first I was leaning toward the Rockchucker master kit from RCBS. Now I was going through my Midway catalog tonight and I really like the Lyman Kit alot. It has the case trimmer included in it and it is a turret press, which I think would come in handy. Problem is, according to Midway's online catalog, I don't see a Lyman neck sizing die for the 7mm Rem Mag. I guess this really isn't a necessity, but seems like a good idea not to overwork the brass. I also seem to think that it may be futile, since the neck is the most likely place to get cracks and overworked brass to start with, so I don't know really how much of a benefit this would be.
Anyone out there have this kit or any inside information? It would be extremely helpful. The wife has bee after me about what she can tell Santa to bring me for Christmas, and I want to make sure the fat man in red does a good job!!!! Thanks in advance.

>My grandfather died 2 summers ago, I know how you feel. My grandfather would have wanted me to use his equipment. My brother in law is using it now, that's fine it's in good hands.

I grew up with RCBS, been loading since I was 11. I was short on cash when I ordered my kit to get me going. I got the LEE anniversary kit 6-7 yrs ago. Good kit does the job, maybe not most precise. Not trying to steer you from the Lyman, I'm sure it's great.

I learned, yes loading for 20yrs, still learning. That neck dies are a crutch. Use fl (full length) dies, and back them out (adjust them) so the bump the shoulder on your 7mmRM .001-.002" you should get excelent case life(longer case life than neck sizing). 7mmRM being a belted mag case, FL full sizing has a tendency to splitt near the belt (why you adjust to just bump the shoulder), before the neck splits.

Neck splits aren't good, case head separation is terrible.

+1 what Zombie said about space. I built a 24x10 shed,for reloading, and ran out of space.

I would get the Lyman if I had the money, for the trimmer, it's a good one.

I use the lee trimmers, my fingers get tired.

>My grandfather died 2 summers ago, I know how you feel. My grandfather would have wanted me to use his equipment. My brother in law is using it now, that's fine it's in good hands.

I grew up with RCBS, been loading since I was 11. I was short on cash when I ordered my kit to get me going. I got the LEE anniversary kit 6-7 yrs ago. Good kit does the job, maybe not most precise. Not trying to steer you from the Lyman, I'm sure it's great.

I learned, yes loading for 20yrs, still learning. That neck dies are a crutch. Use fl (full length) dies, and back them out (adjust them) so the bump the shoulder on your 7mmRM .001-.002" you should get excelent case life(longer case life than neck sizing). 7mmRM being a belted mag case, FL full sizing has a tendency to splitt near the belt (why you adjust to just bump the shoulder), before the neck splits.

Neck splits aren't good, case head separation is terrible.

Sorry to hear about your loss. A good grandfather can be a guys best friend. As far as using the FL die to only size the neck, do you do that just by feel? How do I know how far down the case to size? Thanks again for all of your help and condolences.

CRNA: "using the FL die to only size the neck, do you do that just by feel? How do I know how far down the case to size?"

There is no value in neck sizing further down than the lowest point of bullet contact.

Attempts to "neck size" with an FL die is chancey; depends on the cartridge AND the actual internal dimensions of your die and your chamber. Proper neck dies cannot make wall contact. If the die contacts the case wall, the case shoulder will move forward and cause difficulty chambering the round.

(you have a private message)

You can back out the FL die to just neck size.

I was told here, basically, measure case fired in your rifle, using shoulder comperator on calipers. Adjust FL die so it bumps your shoulder .001-.002". You will get exceptional case life compared to neck sizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.