What groups to choose

CamouMan

Hello,
I am new to reloading, this is my first time developing a load. I shot 9 groups yesterday with 168 gr ABLRs and Retumbo from 69-73 grains in my 7mag finnlight. My analysis was 71-71.5 have the smallest groups, but then I was told that it is better to choose a flatter horizontal group. Any advice on what groups/powdercharges to choose to further my load development would really help. Also any other load development advise would be great.

Notice The bottom groups (exept the 69gr ABLR) are labeled TTSX please disregard those.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
If It were me.. I would look at 72.5 to 73 for the LRAB. Those two have very little vertical. The horizontal on them could have been a hot barrel, wind, bag position, etc.

I would not ignore the TTSX stuff though! That 70.5 to 71.5 with the TTSX show promise too. The rifle may shoot one bullet better than another. Don try to force it to shoot the LRAB if it doesn't like them.

Also, question about what you're shooting off of. Bipod? Bags? Are you letting the rifle free recoil or holding on to it? Sometimes a light rifle in a mag cartridge like that needs to be controlled with a firm grip.

Well i would work with 73 and 73.5. Very little vertical between those two loads. You may have found a wide accuracy node there

Seating depth test may tighten them right up

After seating depth test check charges between 72.9 and 73.6 in 0.1 incriments.

Seems you are.quite a bit over max

Well i would work with 73 and 73.5. Very little vertical between those two loads. You may have found a wide accuracy node there

If It were me.. I would look at 72.5 to 73 for the LRAB. Those two have very little vertical. The horizontal on them could have been a hot barrel, wind, bag position, etc.

I would not ignore the TTSX stuff though! That 70.5 to 71.5 with the TTSX show promise too. The rifle may shoot one bullet better than another. Don try to force it to shoot the LRAB if it doesn't like them.

Also, question about what you're shooting off of. Bipod? Bags? Are you letting the rifle free recoil or holding on to it? Sometimes a light rifle in a mag cartridge like that needs to be controlled with a firm grip.

I'll second the firm grip. I've got a x-bolt eclipse hunter that's on the light side. If you lean into and have a firm grip it shoots .5 moa or under. If i try to let it free recoil I get weird fliers and groups in general open up.

Thanks for the info, i am planning on shooting both bullets as my large game rifle (moose elk) 150 TTSX for inside 200, then ABLR for longer shots, out to 600... once i get to that point..

And i am shooting off bags, hoping that will be most similar to shooting off a backpack hunting. I was just holding it snug to my shoulder with my trigger hand, not overly tight just using finger pressure, i will try a firmer grip next time around.

Thanks

Seems you are.quite a bit over max

Okay thanks, the 73.5 was with the TTSX not sure if you noticed that, but as far as the TTSX goes the 73.5 had a bit of a tight bolt lift and it was pretty cold out so i think ill be going with the 70.5-71.5 range.

How would you go about testing seating depth with both the ABLR and TTSX?

Thanks for the info, i am planning on shooting both bullets as my large game rifle (moose elk) 150 TTSX for inside 200, then ABLR for longer shots, out to 600... once i get to that point..

And i am shooting off bags, hoping that will be most similar to shooting off a backpack hunting. I was just holding it snug to my shoulder with my trigger hand, not overly tight just using finger pressure, i will try a firmer grip next time around.

Thanks

Cool. If you are willing to explore grip a little you might want to consider looking at 71 and 71.5 again. Those are two really good groups with a couple flyers that blew out the group and showed a lot of vertical. That vertical can be related to grip with a lite rifle. That group patter is called "2 in and 1 out syndrome". It is very common and is caused by changing grip during the group. Also make sure the rifles forearm rest is in the exact same position on the bag each time and that the front rifle sling pin never touches the bag during recoil. Consistent, consistent, consistent bag position and grip.

I shoot a lite 7 mag too and like Creed Shooter says a tight grip can help.

Might want to consider shooting all of those strings again and look for repeatability in all of them

Hello,
I am new to reloading, this is my first time developing a load. I shot 9 groups yesterday with 168 gr ABLRs and Retumbo from 69-73 grains in my 7mag finnlight. My analysis was 71-71.5 have the smallest groups, but then I was told that it is better to choose a flatter horizontal group. Any advice on what groups/powdercharges to choose to further my load development would really help. Also any other load development advise would be great.

Notice The bottom groups (exept the 69gr ABLR) are labeled TTSX please disregard those.

Thanks
My first thought is, "Is your rifle free floated and bedded?".

Some of those groups look to me like you have a bedding problem or an inconsistent mount.

The best looking group to me is the bottom right on the third target showing 69gr but there's such a lack of consistency in the groups overall it's hard to tell.

My first thought is, "Is your rifle free floated and bedded?".

Some of those groups look to me like you have a bedding problem or an inconsistent mount.

The best looking group to me is the bottom right on the third target showing 69gr but there's such a lack of consistency in the groups overall it's hard to tell.

My rifle is a stock finnlight. So yes it's free floating but not bedded. I'm going to spend more time practicing my shooting before I bed my rifle, if Ill really need to. I've shot somewhat my whole life but consisted of a 3" group a shell casing high at 100 yards to be sighted in lol. So I was pretty happy with the consistency I had considering it was my first attempt at developing a load.

Thanks

Not meaning to hi jack but I had the same question after shooting today. Sorry I'm not able to post any pics but I had 2 very good groups both about .5 one was 45.5 gr the other was 46.5 gr. Now at 45.5 gr the group was 2 shots side by side pretty much in the same hole and one shot 1/4" right below those 2. The 46.5 was 2 shots touching side by side and 1 just a 1/16" up and half a hole to the right, basically the 45.5 looks a touch better on paper but the 46.5 is better vertically.

So which should I pick to work with from hear testing in 2/10 of a grain up and down then seating depth? I should add that the 46.5 is half a grain over published max but I didn't have any pressure signs. And I might further test at both charges for grins anyway but I do like the idea of going with the hotter load for a lil better performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.